Author Topic: DVLA Grrrrrr  (Read 898 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
This organization is instutionally officious. I suffered a retinal mini-sroke that eliminated vision from 10% of the periphery of my right eye. This wouldn't matter proving my left eye was perfect - well, at least able to pass driving vision test. Unfortunately I am waiting for a cataract operation - due in a week or so.

Anyway, I wrote to the DVLA to tell them this. Then they did nothing for two months. Finally I got a very long form to fill in myself and also to take to my optician. Fine. Two months later they wrote to me again saying I had been booked in for an eye field test - at the same place I had the identical test two months ago. But first I had to fill in three forms. The first contained only questions that I had answerted two months earlier. The second wanted detailed and extensive information on my use of illegal drugs. The third wanted equal detailed and very intrusive information on my abuse of alcohol. I emailed DVLA saying that surely there must be some mistake since I was reporting a defective cataract. Within 24 hours I received a reply telling me I was required by law to fill in these forms and failure to return them within 21 days would result in my licence being revoked. Indeed all their communication comes with this 21 deadline or you lose your licence.

I hope none of you are planning to go on holiday for four weeks otherwise when you get home you may find you don't have a licence any more - but it may take DVLA three months to inform you.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 14:50:50 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Diverbaz 1

DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 13:00:36 PM »

And I bet every form asks for your name and address, and they sent the forms to you so they obviously knew it already.:D

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 14:09:28 PM »
They are a pain in the ar*e, have written to them 3 times telling them they have made a mistake in the spelling of Kenny's surname, and they keep writing back with the same spelling mistake, Thick or what.! there is more organisation in a packet of crisps.:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 20:48:32 PM »
Is it because they is Welsh ?:D ;):D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 21:39:32 PM »
Didn't have a good experience after I was prohibitted from driving.

Oh that reminds me I have to re-apply shortly.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 21:40:08 PM by Highlander »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 22:53:27 PM »
So sorry to hear of your problems Colwyn.  I have just been involved with someone who will never drive again because a CVA caused damage to Peripheral vision.   He found this difficult to understand because he thought he had one good eye and that was enough.
Hope your test goes well.
Heather

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 23:08:17 PM »
The former Mrs KKOB lost her right-eye due to cancer at the age of 18 but has never had any problems with her driving licence.

She was initially advised that her licence would be suspended but after appealing against the decision the DVLA backed-off and accepted that she shouldn't be penalised. She's now 54 and has renewed her licence 3 times without any problems.

There are literally hundreds of drivers in the UK with only sight in 1 eye who have no problems with their licence and it's renewal. Gordon Brown is a famous example.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 23:16:27 PM by KKOB »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 23:49:18 PM »
The loss of sight in one eye is manageable because you still have depth perception.
The loss of peripheral vision to the extent that tje gent I knew had meant he was unable to see out of right eye sufficiently to see traffic coming from that side.  There was a high risk that he would be a danger to himself or others.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 17:57:12 PM »
I always find it interesting when you hear about the experiences that people have with big organizations like the DVLA or big banks. I am a diabetic and obviously I was not sure what to do so I phoned the DVLA and they were very helpful and they told me everything I needed to know. The phone was answered promptly and I got through to who I needed to speak to.

Last month I did have retina photography as part of my diabetic checks and I got 6 letters on 6 consecutive days to tell me my eyes were fine ad they would not need to see me for 12 months. The letters did not fit properly in the envelopes so the postman had to tear them to get the address. After the 4th letter he ran the door bell and asked if I was getting nuisance mail.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
DVLA Grrrrrr
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 19:24:20 PM »
Good postie!!!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf