Author Topic: Bread for a Breadmaking machine...?  (Read 7528 times)

Offline bunny4jeff

Bread for a Breadmaking machine...?
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
Having splashed out on a breadmaking machine from Kipa, I had feverish visions of turning out white SOFT, toast bread, as an alternative to the stodgy bricks they call tost loaves here. Don't get me wrong, I love Turkish bread, if anything, its too delicious.:D But I'd love to be able to occasionally sink my teeth into proper white soft toast, butter dribbling down my chin...I warned you, feverish... :-)
Does anyone know if there's a strong white flour available in the shops (or markets?) to use in the breadmaker, while I hover anxiously over it, tongue hanging out, :Ptill it cooks..? I have tried ordinary "mutfak" flour, but it still makes the "stodgy" type of bread I am trying to avoid like the plague...
Has anyone succeeded where I have failed, so far? Or will it have to be packets of bread mix stuffed into my suitcases from the UK, hopefully not looking suspiciously like other powdery substances..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:51:24 PM by bunny4jeff »

Offline BM06

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 13:02:46 PM »
Jan, you have got me going know:D what would I give for a Warburtons thick slice:P ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 13:03:45 PM »
We have a bread maker (although I only use it to make pizza dough :D ) and I have found that the secret in the stodge/soft problem is the yeast rather than the flour. I don't know if you can ask the Migros baker for a lump of 'real' yeast as we do here in Tesco but worth a try.

Offline Firo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 16:22:23 PM »
You can buy the bread mixes, all different types, in Kipa and Migros etc for bread making machines. They are usually in boxes by the rest of the flour. Dried yeast is in small packets called Maya and we find this works very well.
Go to a local baker for fresh yeast and you can freeze fresh yeast.
Fi

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 18:15:00 PM »
.recently I haver noticed lots of supermarkets selling the fresh yeast in packs of little foil covered cubes - look for "MAYA". It is very cheap and I am just munching on a slice of freshly made bread now lol.

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 17:43:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Firo

You can buy the bread mixes, all different types, in Kipa and Migros etc for bread making machines. They are usually in boxes by the rest of the flour. Dried yeast is in small packets called Maya and we find this works very well.
Fi

Thanks, Firo, I'll have a look. I did ask the staff, but what with my bad Turkish and their helpful but non-existent English, we got nowhere. Thanks again. 8)

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 17:47:03 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

We have a bread maker (although I only use it to make pizza dough :D ) and I have found that the secret in the stodge/soft problem is the yeast rather than the flour. I don't know if you can ask the Migros baker for a lump of 'real' yeast as we do here in Tesco but worth a try.

Thanks Keith I'll try that too, now that I know its called maya. I have some maya in little packets, but the baker's yeast is likely to be better :-)

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 17:51:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Thanks Keith I'll try that, now I know what it is in Turkish. The fresh yeast is bound to be better :-)

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 17:54:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Firo

Fi

Thanks hubblebubble, I did find the packets of yest...but my bread though it rises ok and is quite nice, is still heavy. I will have a go with the bread mixes :-), and I'll try fresh yeast as well.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 18:01:19 PM »
Ah, another - dried yeast does have a shelf life so if yours is a bit old, dump it and see if a new one makes a difference.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf