Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 6695 times)

Offline nicky22

exchange rate
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 18:25:08 PM »
Thanks for that Kenkay.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
exchange rate
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 00:06:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

You could have got 2.2TEN in Fethiye Ken :D

Maybe but can you imagine that tw4t with no teeth and a flat nose : :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
exchange rate
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 00:45:03 AM »
I'd love to see it  :)

Exchange rate cons are nothing more than pants to me. Let me explain. I've never used the great dress shop con man but I know he's good at what he does - i.e. conning people. The 2.3TEN con is inspired, although it doesn't work on everyone and hopefully even more so since we highlighted it here on the forum. Alternative con 2 is to baffle and bamboozle. This is where I think it is pants...

In around 2004 it may come as a shock to newcomers to Turkey but people will back me up when I say that the T shirts and other clothes used to be cheap and if you knew where to go, really good quality. Now I needed boxer shorts and I found some really top quality ones on one Sunday market stall. I still have a few pairs left today, six years on - a little threadbare perhaps but still very good. They were something like 7 pairs for 16 lira (16 million actually but I digress). I now know they were 9 pairs and 16 lira for a reason. 10 pairs for 20 lira would make things too easy to work out. I didn't have 16 lira, I had 20 and what do you know, he hasn't got 4 lira for my change. So he asks for 5 lira (more) and one pair of boxers back and he'll give me 6 pairs of socks. This is the only way we can trade money for the boxer shorts I want.

Most of the numbers above are made up due to fading memory but the situation is about right. To this day I have no idea whether I got a better deal in the end than the advertised one or whether I was totally ripped off - I was absolutely bamboozled! And that's the case with the dress shop exchange conman - he won't have the right amount, he'll ask you for X pounds, then give you some sterling back as part of balancing up the deal and the whole show is to muddy the water so much that you have no clue what you should be getting for your pounds sterling.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
exchange rate
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 14:11:04 PM »
2.28 all week (lots of places give you 2.30)but down to 2.26 yesterday.:D

Offline littlereddevil

exchange rate
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 15:35:45 PM »
It seems tyo have gone down every day this week. We started at 2.3 on sunday and today 2.26

Offline umpy

exchange rate
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 16:48:23 PM »
My payday tomorrow in pounds, and every month this summer the lira has dropped the day before my payday!!  So, change your money about the 24th of the month but definately before the 30th!!  8)

Offline simpsons

exchange rate
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 20:44:44 PM »
My pension get paid in pounds as well, so when it drops too low, Im losing too many "Drinking Vouchers" Unfortunatly, it gets paid in England on the 6th but does not clear for another 3 days. Sometimes its like playing the Turkish equivalent of "Russian Roulette".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 20:46:21 PM by simpsons »

Offline julesbob0303

exchange rate
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

]

And that's the case with the dress shop exchange conman - he won't have the right amount, he'll ask you for X pounds, then give you some sterling back as part of balancing up the deal and the whole show is to muddy the water so much that you have no clue what you should be getting for your pounds sterling.

Yep, that's exactly what he did to us!!!  I was so confused, I just accepted what he gave me, but felt it wasn't right.  It was only when we got on the dolmus, I started working it out, and realised he had conned me big-time!!  I was furious, but it was too late to do anything at that point as we were on our way to meet friends.  When we go past him now, and he asks about changing money, hubby just glares at him and says "you're having a larf, mate!!!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf