Author Topic: Stupid Post Office Charges  (Read 946 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Stupid Post Office Charges
« on: October 21, 2010, 18:21:37 PM »
Don't get me wrong, there's a long way to go before the postal system and post office is as bad here as in Turkey, but..!

I get a card with my letters, telling me that one item hasn't been delivered because there is a further charge to pay - as the stamp paid for was insufficient for a letter of this size. I, me, the recipient, must pay £1.10 to get the letter. A further note says that £1 of this is a Post Office charge. So I actually owe 10p but have to pay eleven times that or I am not getting my letter.

So I have to drive to the sorting office which is out of the town centre (not the town centre PO, that would be too convenient), killing the planet with emissions that I really didn't need to emit (the postman was at my door, he could have delivered the card rather than the notification) - and I ring a bell. A man comes, I assume he was doing something else but eventually came to me. I give him the notification card, he disappears for a while, comes back with a letter - which turns out to be a birthday card for the kids with nothing more than one of those little gadgets inside it that plays a tune when you open it. It is apparently over thick. Not unlike the bloke who gave me it. He asks for £1.10, I give him £1.20 and he goes to find 10p change. He returns and gives me 10p change. I ask for a receipt, he gives me a look then searches for a receipt.

A postman had to stop and write out a note to put through my letterbox, I had to go out to a sorting office and back spewing out petrol fumes as I go and adding to traffic levels, I took up the time of another postal worker for a significant number of minutes and all for the pursuit of ten pence.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 21:22:49 PM »
Never mind Scunner. You've made a start on filling the Post Office's Pension black hole :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 21:56:49 PM »
Dont get me started on the c****y service the post office delivers, I sell bits  of clutter from our household on ebay, it truly beggars believe when you hand over 2 idenical videos in indentical jiffy bags for posting, one costs more then the other to post i ask why this is when they are identical packages, i am told one weighs one gram more then the other hence it has pushed it into the next bracket for postage resulting in costing me 60p more, there is no budging from this i have to pay the money if i want to use their service unbelievable!
They also cancelled my motor insurance half way through the policy as someone hit my car in a supermarket car park i did not claim but reported it so they cancelled my policy and said i would not be refunded the other half of the years money i had paid, took me 3 weeks to get my money back but had to keep on and on phoning them will never use them again for motor insurance and would use an alternative for my postage if there happened to be one! Maybe the government should do some cost cutting there but not at the taxpayer's expense like everything else is.

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 13:27:49 PM »
I know that this is slightly off topic, but it does make you mad,(well it did me) I was sent a letter from the DVLA requesting that I renew my 10 year old driving licence so I got a new mugshot filled in the form and sent it off with a cheque for £20.

Three weeks later I now have a new photo driving licence issued on the 18th september, great I thought that will be ok for the next ten years, but then looking at it I saw that the speeding endosement for doing 32 mph in a 30 zone and a £60 fine which expired on the 19th september 2010 (some 4 years after the conviction) was still on the licence so if I now want the endosement removed I now have fill in another form sent my new licence & photo card as well together with another £20 to get a new clean licence, I know it was my fault 4 years ago, but the DVLA could have waited another day before issusing the new licence.

Welcome to rip off uk

Offline rpg9000

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 13:43:46 PM »
...or you could have waited another day before applying for it? There are usually (at least!) two sides to every story.

(Greetings from down the road in Woking)

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 13:50:59 PM »
RPG9000, Very true, but if you do not apply when requested you risk a £1000 fine for driving with an expired licence

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 14:42:18 PM »
Oh for the Royal Mail here in Turkey. I am still waiting for last year's birthday and Xmas cards as well as this year's Valentine card ( I am assured that one was sent) and this year's birthday cards. PTT can find my house when a letter or package has to be signed for but normal mail never seems to reach me.

Offline scouser2

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 15:54:32 PM »
Agree with you Maximumtom.i have a bank account with TEB, and i was charged for monthly statements which i have never received!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 22:39:55 PM »
I've suddenly remembered that contrary to the norm I was charged with sending out the Christmas cards last year. Unfortunately, I forgot to put a stamp on a couple of the cards. That would have been bad enough but one was to my mother-in-law who subsequently got charged £1.10. You have absolutely no idea of the grief that rained down on me and probably still does.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf