Author Topic: !Buying in Calis help me convice the parents!  (Read 6374 times)

Offline ovaciksarah

!Buying in Calis help me convice the parents!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
I have lived in Ovacik for 6 years, average electric bill is 60tl, even with pumps going 24hrs per day for pond, gas lasts about 6 months, and has just gone up to 63tl, water during winter is about 15tl per month, as don,t have to water garden, and I use 2 tons of wood in winter for fire, and council tax for year is 63tl, so much cheaper than England.  If you do most of your shopping in markets, especially, the Friday or Saturday markets, is just a few lira

Offline ovaciksarah

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
I have lived in Ovacik for 6 years, average electric bill is 60tl, even with pumps going 24hrs per day for pond, gas lasts about 6 months, and has just gone up to 63tl, water during winter is about 15tl per month, as don,t have to water garden, and I use 2 tons of wood in winter for fire, and council tax for year is 63tl, so much cheaper than England.  If you do most of your shopping in markets, especially, the Friday or Saturday markets, is just a few lira

Offline superpp

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
I would say it's up yo your mum, and wouldn't be pushing her into anything.
It is a big commitment to own overseas.
Book a cheap holiday and arrange an agent to meet you for a day or so.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by paul211b

Thanks Scunner I think she will be using this as a holiday home so a complex would not be too bad.  I shall keep checking this site looking for everyone's comments.  thanks.

Bear in mind that holidaying on  complex can have its problems.  I know people who used to have places on complexes but moved from them as they found that they'd turn up for their holiday and be jumped on by the residents committee, regaling them with all the problems.  Heir holiday was spent sorting out problems.

Mind you, holidaying on your own villa would also have problems too....  You need to employ someone with a known good reputation to care for your place while you're away.

Offline poppy50

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Hi  
Can't agree more.  We bought on a small complex and really glad we did.  Our neighbours who live there permanently keep an eye on our place when we are back in the UK.  As well as being connected to the water supply we also have a well.  This is used for filling up the pool and helps to keep the overheads down.  It is worth going smaller it is more cost effective. :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 14:14:29 PM »
Whilst I love my place on Violet I can see exactly where Lynn is coming from.  
If there are a few owners on site at the same time then the discussion always comes around to the complex.  Ok some of the time but not for the whole of our time there.
We've made some really good friends on Violet and enjoy their company, others, like at home we can take our leave.  There have been some fantastic days out, boat trips and brilliant evenings in our bar (when it was up and running) but we're equally happy leaving them all to it and doing our own thing.
You've the best of both worlds really.  
The only downside for me is I'll not visit during the school holidays as I can't stand the noise and really feel as if those on holiday are intruding in my little bit of paradise :-\

Offline paul211b

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 15:11:51 PM »
Thanks for these much appreciated.

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 17:34:49 PM »
We bought a 3 bed duplex apartment on a small complex of 8 apartments.  The pool is not exactly large, but the owners tend to visit at different times, and so there are rarely more than 3 apartments occupied at the same time, so the small pool isn't really a problem (though obviously this could change in the future).  

It's quiet enough to spend long(ish) periods there as none of us rent out our places.  We have some fab neighbours who we look forward to meeting up with (we both tend to holiday during school holiday times, due to having teenagers).

Running costs for pool and ground maintenance are shared.  All in all, a really good set-up.

A villa would be lovely, but we would then have the added expense of paying all the maintenance costs, and needing a management company for security and general checking of the villa (at the moment, our neighbours check out our place if we're not there when they're visiting).

There are pros and cons for both an apartment on a complex and an individual villa.  Maybe one day when we are able to spend longer than 8 weeks a year there, we may trade up and have a home with our own garden!  But at the moment, we are happy with our "little place in the sun"!

Good luck with persuading your mum - it's the best thing we have ever done!   :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 18:15:10 PM »
We have our own Villa and pool and it's not a problem getting a Maintenance Contract and having someone look after your place, and it's remarkably good value for what we get.  We like the privacy of having our own place and would not like to holiday in a complex, but it's whatever floats your boat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf