Author Topic: Medical insurance  (Read 36627 times)

Offline quackers

Medical insurance
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »
Surely you would take out holiday medical insurance before you came out on the 90/180 visa . If you do not over stay the visa 90day max stay and return to Uk for 90 days before you came out again you would not need residency or Turkish medical insurance. If you want to come back out before the 90 day compulsory stay in UK is up you will need to either rethink your holiday dates to avoid residency and medical insurance  or take residency and then insurance when/if it becomes compulsory. I certainy would not holiday here with no insurance.

Offline ovaciksarah

Medical insurance
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
I fully understand the need for all expats to have some health insurance, but surely if you can prove you have private Turkish health insurance that should be enough.  It is just your choice.  It means we will have to cancel our privagte as I certainly can,t afford both,

Offline milliemars

Medical insurance
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
I am confused,but then that can be easy for me,I have read that  this maybe be delayed until Dec 2012,ok fine,do we still have to register by 31st January and if so do we have to start paying from the 1st Febuary as stated,even if they pospone it again.......

Offline TB752

Medical insurance
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 13:54:13 PM »
Quackers  We totally agree with your posts.  We too have SGK/Bagkur and went about obtaining it last year and visited the SGK old office just before it moved, filled out the forms in my husbands name and showed the appropriate documents.  Six weeks later we were both on the insurance and could obtain any treatments we needed.  Luckily we have only had to use this once for a minor operation on my husband.  When we made the appointment at the Esnaf as soon as the details were entered on the system it was flagged that we were covered by Bagkur so the operation did not cost as much as we expected.  Like you and your husband we did the research before we moved here and as we are both over 65 the cost of private medical insurance was prohibitive so we made sure we had enough available funds to pay for any treatment.   We always find that if you treat people with respect and courtesy they are only too willing to help. As you say we now live in Turkey and abide by Turkish laws and customs.  We are extremely happy here and have never regretted the move away from the UK where, although we would be getting free health care I am sure the standard of that care  would be lower than that we have received here.

Offline Dutchie

Medical insurance
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 16:06:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yakamoz

Sorry if this has come up before but need some clarification. What if you only get residency so you can stay longer than 90 in 180 days ie we usually stay for two 12 week periods between May and October. Would we have to take up insurance.
It seems to me that people who only want to stay part-time in Turkey are going to be forced to pay more ie residency, health insurance. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It has been written a zillion times but I'll do it just once more:

The new law only applies to foreigners who don't have any medical insurance in their home country (and who have been a resident in Turkey for more than one year uninterrupted).

Since you don't live here full time, this probably means that you are covered by the NHS in the UK so it doesn't concern you.

edited to clear confusion
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 17:12:54 PM by Dutchie »

Offline saoirse

Medical insurance
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 16:21:36 PM »
Please forgive me for being pedantic as you have neen both patient and very helpful Dutchie but your own reply to the poster highlights a crucial query when you say  " been resident/ have residency" . Therein lies a massive diff!!!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 16:23:09 PM by saoirse »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Medical insurance
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 16:43:58 PM »
Also "have residency in Turkey for more than one year uninterrupted" - one year is the minimum you can have it for, so that either means "have residency", or that people who take one year's residency don't, but those who take longer do..?

Offline Dutchie

Medical insurance
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 17:08:46 PM »
The problem is that the letter doesn't state clearly what they mean.
But they are for sure not talking about having a residency permit.
When I wrote "have residency" I didn't mean "have residency permit"
Maybe my English wasn't very clear so apologies.
I'm just a Dutchie after all  8)

The verb being used in the letter is "ikamet etmek".
If you use zargan.com for translation it comes up with the following possibilities:
to abide, to domiciliate, to hang out, to inhabit, to hold state, to dwell, to reside.
Have your pick :P

But don't forget, that as long as you have an insurance in your homecountry, the whole law doesn't affect you.

By the way Scunner, you can have a residency permit for as long as you want to have it. I have one for five months at the moment since my passport is running out.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 17:09:32 PM by Dutchie »

Offline saoirse

Medical insurance
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 17:10:49 PM »
Thanks yet again Dutchie. I appreciate your help.

Offline quackers

Medical insurance
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »
I see in todays Fethiye News that they(FNews) are looking into the Health Insurance queries and will put a message on they`re website to let us all know what is happening and what we have to do.It affects Turkish people as well as expats so we are not being discriminated against.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf