Author Topic: Dogs being gathered up and dumped in the country?? Warning to dog owners.  (Read 6604 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
There are many places you can feed a dog without being on someones property  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
We have always thought it a waste to throw away any food that a street animal would eat.  It's easy to put the food somewhere away from where you are staying.   We bring over flea and worming tablets also.

Offline Bluwise

I don't really get it - there are many complaints about dogs hanging around restaurants, messing up the beaches etc yet by feeding strays it is keeping the numbers up.   ???

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
We live a long way from the restaurants and only have a few strays, which originally where brought to the area by the Farmers.  We have had the same two cats for 8 years now.  So there is not mass breeding problem with our strays.

Offline grizabella

Feeding strays does NOT keep the numbers up!It's irresponsible owners who do not neuter their animals,allow them to stray and procriate that add to the stray population.The Turkish law of 'Trap,Neuter and Return'keeps the numbers down.Allowing the street animals to be healthy and keeping the population stable.

Offline Bluwise

I suppose that's one way of having some control but it doesn't control the 'mess' that people rightly complain about.  It's just that in my opinion, returning them to the streets is exposing them to accidents,  illness and possibly starvation if someone doesn't feed them. 

Offline quackers

We are having our street dog neutered tomorrow courtesy of AA. She will then be returned to us to recover and then  the local bar and us will feed her and have her innoculations done . She wil be wormed and flea treated. We have tried discouraging her away from our area but she loves us so she stays. She has taken over from Sybil, our much loved street dog that got shot. We also have 2 street dogs that live in our villa and they are lovely and we can leave them in our house and go out with no problems. Love , training and food is all they need .

Offline Bluwise

I must have misunderstood the 'street dog' part.  I was talking about the strays who don't have anyone taking full responsibility for them- those that wander at will and leave their calling cards on the beach etc. Love,training and food is someone taking responsibility especially if they live with you- surely that's different?  I would not want to take anything away from the great work that is done to help animals -

Offline quackers

Our old street dog Sybıl was the burglars worst frıend. She would not lıve ın our house but would turn up at meal tımes and come for a walk wıth our dogs. She was an out and out street dog but lovely wıth it.(apart from chasıng cars). Beyaz the new street dog ıs the same temperment and has been ın our area for a few months now just hangıng around the local bar hopıng for food so ıts tıme to take responsıbılıty for her. She won't lıve wıth us, she lıkes her freedom but she needs her rabıes and other jabs every year and flea treatment and wormıng. Also proper food apart from the scraps she scrounges at the bar. Once she ıs spayed and tagged everyone wıll know she ıs safe frıendly dog and won't hurt her. She wıll have a better safe street lıfe at lıttle cost to us. I agree the packs of wanderıng dogs are a nuısance but luckıly they seem to move on ıf not fed a true street dog wıll stay.

Offline milliemars

I don't really get it - there are many complaints about dogs hanging around restaurants, messing up the beaches etc yet by feeding strays it is keeping the numbers up.   ???
Not really as most of the dogs that are hanging around as you say have been neutered so eventually numbers will dwindle. The 10 dogs taken from Olu Deniz were mainly tagged street dogs that had every right to be there as thats where they came from.Could I also comment that it is not only the Street dogs that are messing up the beaches there are a few and just a few that are owned.I see more mess left by humans like cigarette butts and rubbish that I do dog mess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf