Author Topic: Does the Situation in Egypt Hinder or Help Turkey?  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Does the Situation in Egypt Hinder or Help Turkey?
« on: August 18, 2013, 19:17:12 PM »
Horrific scenes in Egypt, but I wonder if it makes the already precarious economic situation in Turkey worse - as in it could reinforce the view that Islam and democracy don't sit well together - or is it actually the opposite, that it might strengthen the economy in Turkey by showing that Sultan Erdogan and his government stopped well short of the scenes currently being witnessed in Egypt?

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: Does the Situation in Egypt Hinder or Help Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 19:39:52 PM »
IS the situation in Turkey precarious, or, has Erdogan Bey successfully used his intimidation & scare tactics to put the fear of Allah into the more secular members of the population? I appreciate that Egypt is on the other side of the Mediterranean from Turkey,but, religion, in this instance,the monotheistic & Abrahamic religion that is Islam,has no borders, either physical,or idealogical, but the sheer scale of the unrest manifesting itself in Egypt presently, in my humble opinion, COULD represent a significant problem for Turkey.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 19:47:13 PM »
can you use shorter words?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 20:03:18 PM »
Fair points Gordy - but I do wonder if it lets Erdy off the hook - for example, there has been outrage over the "trial" and conviction of Turkish army generals, now he can point at Egypt and say "look, now you understand what I protected you from".

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 20:03:52 PM »
can you use shorter words?

:D

I reckon this Chamber will bring out the verbose in us all, Tinkerman!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 20:06:21 PM »
Indubitably.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 20:12:16 PM »
In an attempt to scotch the wordiness, my quite serious response to your original question, Scunner is, The Americans Did It.

(I apologise for mentioning scotch.)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 20:19:57 PM »
Fair points Gordy - but I do wonder if it lets Erdy off the hook - for example, there has been outrage over the "trial" and conviction of Turkish army generals, now he can point at Egypt and say "look, now you understand what I protected you from".

I believe that the "mindset" in Egypt would be as far distant from that of the Turkish Government, as it is from that of the average man in the street in our own country Keith. It could also be argued/debated that Erdogan has only delayed the inevitable, maybe !

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »
All politicians are inherently dishonest, you have to be a busybody and self opinionated self promoter to be in Politics in the first place and it is simply a matter of degrees from the fairly mild like Michael Foot to the extreme like Margaret Thatcher. History proves they all, no doubts at all, all lie and cheat to get what they want. So Erdogan as a politician is unashamedly capitalising on the misery of the Egyptian people to draw attention away from his Nazi like activities with anyone who opposes him. Removal of any military objectors and promotion for islamist Soldiers for instance.

He is very like Tony Blair of course, continuously playing to whichever audience could benefit him personally the most, "Today I will be the statesman" "tomorrow the Middle East peacemaker" I wonder what he has planned
for next Tuesday or doesn't his diary stretch that far?

If Turkey is affected by the issues in Egypt it will be because he and his followers have deliberately engineered it and if it benefits him and his supporters in their attempt to Dictate. I have just been waiting for the engineered unrest and "State of Emergency" to justify cancelling elections, this to be followed by the burning of books etc!

Turkey has no need whatsoever to be affected by anything in Egypt unless their current "Government" engineers it!

Offline kevinartois

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 19:58:51 PM »
ahh johntaylor you seem to put into words my thoughts lol is that preaching

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf