Author Topic: More Internet Censorship On Way  (Read 5492 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
More Internet Censorship On Way
« on: January 27, 2014, 18:26:10 PM »
Every time a web site is blocked in Turkey it is by a court order.  Unfortunately it looks like they'll shortly be able to block sites without having to resort to a court order if the article in TZ is to be believed.

"The government is actually in the process of making changes in Law 5651 on the Internet to allow website blocking without a court order and to allow mass surveillance of Internet users."

Its common knowledge that the blocks they put in place are usually fairly easy to get round, and as a result it looks like they may be about to make things a bit more difficult.

"But it is rumored that the government will also be introducing some technical barriers making it impossible to circumvent the bans through proxies or DNS number changes."

Free speech is becoming a rare commodity within the borders of Turkey.

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: More Internet Censorship On Way
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 19:30:34 PM »
I was just reading in tonights Zaman about a site that made claims about RTE, his wife, daughter,a builder and Two villa's.
The site was shut down almost immediately. !! 

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 23:40:57 PM »
I'm surprised this topic didn't attract more attention or comment. Still they've just voted to gag opposition in the UK, in Europe and the US they are on the verge of giving rich corporations the right to control what we see on the internet so this lot are simply joining the party.

This article doesn't mention the bit about blocking the use of proxies or DNS number changes but it does mention that this new bill if passed will enable them to closely monitor the intricate details of what we access on the Internet.

http://www.yellali.com/news/article/40/draft-bill-for-internet-limitations-in-turkey

While you're here if you would like to sign the petition against a two tier internet controlled by big business it's here...

http://www.avaaz.org/en/internet_apocalypse_loc/?cVKuibb

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 21:06:53 PM »
An up date from the BBC in Istanbul with video if anyone is interested. Somewhat surprised I could view it as I am already finding my right to view live streaming news sites blocked and they weren't even about what's going on in Turkey!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26103295

Offline busybee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 22:01:02 PM »
I tried to read about this topic on the Zaman, when I opened it, advised my that this was malicious web page!!!!!  Didn't have my VPN on, but will be on permanently, from now.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 23:03:04 PM »
If this legislation goes through, I'd imagine TZ will be one of the first to go...

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 23:06:18 PM »

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »
From what I've been told it was pretty lively in the areas around Taksim over the weekend.  One comment suggested that the Polis didn't seem to be quite as vicious compared to previous occasions...

JF

Offline busybee

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
Gets crazier by the day, desperate people, resort to desperate measures.............Tic, toc, tic, toc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf