Author Topic: Visit to Edinburgh  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Visit to Edinburgh
« on: March 05, 2014, 14:33:05 PM »
One of my sons-in-law has got a contract with an Edinburgh company and so he and Daughter#2 are moving up there next weekend and into their new flat. My daughter "feels the cold" and was already worried about Scotland's far north location, so I didn't need to mention that. I warned her that a few months after moving she would become a foreigner (but, since she is English, she already is - worse she's staying here on Sunday and will be watching the match with me). And I also warned her that the Scots eat strange food, or perhaps normal food which they give strange names, and promised to send up food parcels.

At the end of the month we'll be going up to visit them for a few days. I suspect that she and Hilary will be touring the shopping delights of the city. So I have arrange a cultural alternative for myself. I though a tour of historic and/or atmospheric drinking establishments might be called for. Her flat is a couple of minutes walk from The Caley Sampler Room so that might be a good place to start. Any more recommendations for a decent pub crawl?

[P.S. I didn't necessarily mean all that about cold, independence and food].

Offline Brianbern

Re: Visit to Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 15:22:40 PM »
http://www.caferoyaledinburgh.co.uk

I was in here for the first time a couple of weeks ago - looks like the kind of pub my husband would like & the food was recommended by my two friends who were with me as they had been there before!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 15:25:32 PM »
The Fox's Head ?

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 18:37:26 PM »
Hi colwyn, my son and his girlfriend also have moved to Edinburgh and we get up there once or twice a year. If you like to trawl the pubs like us, I suggest you go one street back from the main shopping street (Princess St) and hit Rose St, it's a golden mile of great hostelries and the atmosphere is great. Enjoy   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll no doubt be investigating them. If I was going for longer I could have skimmed through the Rebus novels I have. He seems to do a fair amount of drinking. Are the places where he drinks in the novels real places?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »
I doubt they are real pub interiors, but I recognise lots of the locations.   I would make my way to the Grassmarket if I were you there are some great pubs in this area, also you can see Greyfriars Bobbie there.  The pubs around Prince Street/Rose Street and the Royal Mile are very touristy.
We go to Edinburgh regularly, it's my favourite City in the U.K. so much to see and do.  For lunch go to Harvey Nicks the restaurant is high up and you get fabulous views and a lovely lunch.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
JH, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll skip on Harvey Nicks as I almost never eat lunch (I am a one-meal-a-day bloke) but I'll pass it on to Hilary - if I think I can trust her not to go buying something when she's there.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »
I doubt they are real pub interiors, but I recognise lots of the locations.   I would make my way to the Grassmarket if I were you there are some great pubs in this area, also you can see Greyfriars Bobbie there.  The pubs around Prince Street/Rose Street and the Royal Mile are very touristy.
We go to Edinburgh regularly, it's my favourite City in the U.K. so much to see and do.  For lunch go to Harvey Nicks the restaurant is high up and you get fabulous views and a lovely lunch.

Jaqui, whereabouts is the Grassmarket, as we'd like to try it next time.

Offline Ally B

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 17:22:41 PM »
Hi Colwyn his favourite pub the Oxford is indeed a real pub it is in Young Street.If you manage to pop in you have a chance of meeting Ian Rankin as he has been known to visit for a drink.It is very small but homely. If you google The oxford bar Edinburgh it will give you some info.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 20:34:18 PM »
The Grassmarket is at the back of the Castle.  So if you walk up the road at the Station Entrance and turn right at the top so you are walking back parallel to Prince Street Gardens you will come to it.  Look for it on Google Earth and you will see it's location.  We usually stay 5 minutes walk from the Grassmarket, at the Knight Residence which is a fabulous place and has the bonus of a secure car park.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf