Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 13828 times)

Offline sadler

Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 17:12:05 PM »
Lotty if you want rape seed oil come to my house. We have fields of it surrounding us, The farmers have switched from potatoes to rape seed as it is easier to grow. We do however live in the. Driest part of England and a few miles from us is a village which is officially a desert as it hS such a small amount of rainfall

Offline sadler

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 17:16:06 PM »
Sorry that wenty on twice still coming to terms with this iPad.!!!!!

Offline Steve A

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
Lotty if you want rape seed oil come to my house. We have fields of it surrounding us, The farmers have switched from potatoes to rape seed as it is easier to grow. We do however live in the. Driest part of England and a few miles from us is a village which is officially a desert as it hS such a small amount of rainfall
Dungeness ?

Offline sadler

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
Close SteveA St Osyth, North East Essex the driest recorded place in England. It was famous for its witches too, but that's another story. The Witchfinder General was set all around this area. Still a few left!!! :(

Offline Lotty

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
I always thought I was allergic to rapeseed because I first started hay fever while having to drive past fields of the stuff every day going to college. I was wary of trying the oil but I've had no problems. It tastes lovely, gives food a gorgeous golden crunch when frying, plus it's a healthier option to Olive oil and really good for you.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 13:26:20 PM »
Canola oil - rape seed oil - is only good for you provided that it has not been hydrogenated; done to increase its stability.

Same goes for any oils that have been hydrogenated. It increased the presence of trans fats which in turn increases bad cholesterol and reduces good cholesterol; increases the risk of heart disease, strokes and diabetes.

Unfortunately hydrogenated oils are found it lots of other products including processed (fast) foods, margarine, biscuits, white bread, non dairy cream and cakes because it increases the shelf life of the product.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2014, 13:49:09 PM »
Well I have to say most if the stuff I've read about this is positive. I always used Olive oil but now we find this is tastier and seems to have many benefits benefits. See below.  :D

What are the health benefits of Rapeseed Oil?

Contains the lowest saturated fat content of any oil - less than half that of Olive Oil.
Has 10 times more Omega 3 than Olive Oil.
It is a good source of Vitamin E.
High in monounsaturated fats.
Contains no artificial preservatives and is trans-fat and GM free.
It is suitable for a variety of diets – vegetarian, gluten-free, Kosher and Halal.
It is safe to cook at high temperatures with a burning point of 230c much higher than Olive Oil.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 17:26:47 PM »
Agree, only if it hasn't been hydrogenated   :) its just a matter of checking the label.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 20:33:46 PM »
Here is the tin, it doesn't say, but I have posed the question, I'll let you know Nichola.  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 22:29:41 PM »
It should be ok if its cold pressed which it says it is   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf