Author Topic: Is this the future?  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Is this the future?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »
Last week we saw a family of eight sat in one of the Italian restaurants on the front, this family had what I guess was a two year old (maximum) sat in a high chair at the table. The inevitable IPad was propped up in front of the baby on it's feeding tray, this of course gave the rest of the family time to enjoy their meal while the young one was being distracted.

We both reflected about the time when our children were a similar age, obviously no iPads around at that time but we spent the time teaching them how to behave in a restaurant environment and tempting them with new foods and even talking to each other! (How old fashioned is that?)

I'm sorry to sound so puritanical about this but I can only reflect on the holiday time I had with my own parents and brothers, even though the best we could manage was a tent in Cornwall, our holiday time was "all inclusive" if you get my drift?

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 13:03:28 PM »
Don't even get me started on this one, I work in IT, I spend a lot of time on a PC, I have an amazing new smartphone that does all sorts of things I choose not to use! Tap, tap bloody tap everywhere and people staring into their handhelds and Tablets --arrrrggghhhhhhh Einsten was right, when technology takes the place of conversation we will have bred a generation of idiots!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 15:05:16 PM »
Einsten - who he? Not tapping hard enough.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
At the risk of having my head taken off, why does it appear that many children that appear to come from a more "middle class" background seem to have the ability to sit with their parents/grandparents in a restaurant/pub and be able to hold a conversation and also eat a meal in a proper fashion using the cutlery as it was designed and not with their fingers?

I know that this is a generalization but it is something I have noticed over a long period of time and I can tell by the type of eating venue I go to, in general the more expensive/upmarket the better the table manners and behaviour of the younger generation at the table.

Getting back to the original post the lack of any kind of "device" in these instances is quite noticeable against going to a more "popular venue where it is more common to see the kind of behaviour mentioned already. This is just another indication of the falling family values that have been gradually eroded over recent years, which I fine particularly sad.

I am not in any way saying that more "working class" if there is such a thing people do not have the ability to bring their children up being able to show table manners and the ability to eat out in a proper fashion but in general from my observation they don't.

Ducking now..........  ;)

Offline peter16

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 14:49:08 PM »
And DUCK you really should >:(.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 16:37:32 PM »
At the risk of having my head taken off,
Ducking now..........   ;)

If you knew you were being offensive why did you blunder on?

Offline teetee

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 18:42:49 PM »
Colwyn I was making a point based on observation and not in any way blundering on and I cannot see where you thought I was being offensive. Some people take comments like this in a more serious way than they should and I cannot see where your comments add to this debate..........which is the section this was posted............

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 22:46:12 PM »
I understood the point you were trying to make teetee and would probably have posted  in the same way.

It will come as no surprise therefore that I agree with most of what you said.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 23:03:10 PM by Highlander »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
Oh that is a sweeping generalisation.  Good and bad parenting, at meal times or whenever, is not something that is set or driven by class stratification.  I've seen and heard plenty of middle class parents in restaurants with little or no control over their kids.

Still there is the other solution to middle class parents meal time dilemma, leave 'em at home.  Just like the middle class saintly McCanns and friends did with theirs.  Anyone want to take my head off on this factual observation?

Offline teetee

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
UBT it may be viewed by you as a sweeping generalization but this was an observation based over many years and in many places. I think you will find that your statement regarding good or bad parenting is a generalization.

I have also seen middle class parents with little or no control over their children, but then again I have seen considerably more other "categories" of parents with children who have had even less control.

What the McCanns have to do with this I cannot quite work out, you cannot use one example of one set of parents to label the rest.

An observation can be viewed in different ways, a fact is a fact........... 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf