Author Topic: Pantry Moth  (Read 5067 times)

Offline catsrus

• Newly Registered
Pantry Moth
« on: September 04, 2014, 16:51:39 PM »

Does anybody have any idea of how to get rid of pantry moth.    I keep all my dried food in sealed plastic containers and the other day to my horror found 2 plastic containers containing lasagne and ryvita type biscuits had the little sods flying about inside.    These items were bought in Migros.    Needless to say they went into the bin and the cupboard cleaned with a bleach based product.   Every item was throughly inspected before being put back and if I wasn't sure binned.    To my horror I found quite a lot of moths and also their grubs.    Since cleaning the cupboard I have found more moths and grubs, I know some moths escaped and I managed to kill a few but obviously not all.    I am now obsessed with inspecting the inside every hour!!!   Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Sue

Offline Lotty

Re: Pantry Moth
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 17:49:30 PM »
I had this infestation a few years ago and was beside myself with what to do because once they are there, they're hard to get rid of. The only solution I found was to throw everything out that is in a bag or box and then I bought airtight sealed containers of different sizes for all foods. I have nothing in my cupboards in a bag now. I wash and keep every jar especially big ones and use them too. If anything living does come in from a supermarket, it's isolated from other foods, though nothing has since (touch wood), its worked well and I've never had such tidy cupboards either!  :D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 18:27:26 PM »
Mr WB is amused by my obsession with buying plastic tubs and can't understand why I say I never have enough.

There are still items in my cupboards that aren't boxed, but after reading this thread that won't be the case for long!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 18:32:31 PM »
We had decanted a brand new bag of breakfast cereal into a clean airtight plastic container only to find a moth in there after a while, we can only think that it must have been in the bag in the first place.

Offline catsrus

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 19:46:00 PM »
We had decanted a brand new bag of breakfast cereal into a clean airtight plastic container only to find a moth in there after a while, we can only think that it must have been in the bag in the first place.

Yes that is what happened with the lasagne, ryvita biscuits and I forgot some porridge oats as well.

Offline catsrus

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 19:47:30 PM »
I had this infestation a few years ago and was beside myself with what to do because once they are there, they're hard to get rid of. The only solution I found was to throw everything out that is in a bag or box and then I bought airtight sealed containers of different sizes for all foods. I have nothing in my cupboards in a bag now. I wash and keep every jar especially big ones and use them too. If anything living does come in from a supermarket, it's isolated from other foods, though nothing has since (touch wood), its worked well and I've never had such tidy cupboards either!  :D

Thats what I do but still got the little sods, I never buy any loose dry spices etc from the market just in case they are in there.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 22:55:53 PM »
When you buy loose spices freeze them overnight, that kills any potential nasties.
We've put bay leaves in our kitchen cupboards, in the corners and not had any moths this year.
Loads of bay trees all along the Migros road.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 23:06:34 PM »
I found plastic boxes/containers are not always airtight, plus eventually they do wear out and lids curl? I prefer Oxo containers, see photo, Kilner or just plain screw top jars. However, there's not much you can do if they're already in the pack you buy.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 00:24:01 AM »
Which ones are Oxo containers??

I don't see any red boxes with white writing :D

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
That's way too neat and tidy. I feel like a right slob now!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf