Author Topic: Snacks and a Warning  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Snacks and a Warning
« on: May 21, 2015, 16:43:24 PM »
Less than two weeks before I fly off to Turkey. I am already looking forward to complimentary bread and chilli pul dip with my glass of Efes. And the rice stuffed mussels served "over the wall" of whatever bar I am in. And my first plate of gozleme patates. Wrong season for hamsi tava (my favourite) but I can always have albanian liver or menemen. Can hardly wait.

Now for a warning. Four or five years ago in the Spring I started to suffer from some horrible thing, For six weeks I had diarrhea and fever and lost one and a half stone without wanting to. Eventually Hilary went with me to the doctor (she had worked in NHS for a long time) and said "He is disappearing in front of me. Do something!".  I was admitted into the local hospital. Two weeks later I finally got a diagnosis of this strange and exotic plague I had picked up. It  was streptococcus bovis - a bacterial blood poisoning illness infection. This can come from your own colon cancer (which tests proved I didn't have) or it can be introduced from outside. It can be picked up from cattle or sheep intestines.

It was then I remembered that six months earlier we had been walking along the Turkish coast and come to a little harbour with a rust-bucket boat selling snacks. We went on and ordered. The smell from below stairs was awful. Finally it arrived and Hilary refused to eat it. But I - macho man - ploughed on. For a while, and then it got too much. It was, of course, very badly cooked korkorec which is made from ... sheep's intestines.

So a warning. Eat your korkorec from proper food outlets, and not dodgy boats along the coast. I shan't be eating any at all from now on. When it comes to me I don't think Hilary has abolished the death penalty.

Offline Lotty

Re: Snacks and a Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 17:13:33 PM »
Erm. . . I think I'll give this a miss anyway, I know it's a delicious treat for some but I just can't bring myself to try it. Mind you if something smelled foul even if I liked it I'd give it a wide berth. Listen to Hilary!  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 17:15:28 PM »
She says that. Repeatedly.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 17:53:22 PM »
Another one to beware of is drinking straws. Some of the establishments take the leftover straws,

swill them in water then put them back out for other punters. I once saw a guy on the markets

gather used straws off the tables and put them in a glass to be reused without even washing them. !!!

Take a few sealed ones with you if you like soft drinks.       ;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 20:03:46 PM »
OMG I would never ever have given the drinking straws a thought as to wether they had been used previously! I don't know about sheeps intensines there will now not be any more straws for me :(

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 20:55:42 PM »
And me!!   :o

Thanks for letting us know about that!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 21:04:41 PM »
On our first visit to Calis with the kids (babies really) we went to the beach just behind Telmessos hill (the name escapes me as I type) and there was a tiny beach bar with a few tables and seats. We asked for a bottle of water for the kids and he produced one of the big ones. We didn't fancy carrying it so asked for two small bottles. He fumbled around and then told us to sit and he'd bring them.

My friend had walked on towards the sea and by this time was returning - just in time to find the guy producing two small water bottles after a good rummage in his dustbin.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 21:06:18 PM »
Kokorec ! Never had a bad one and looking forward to the next.  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 21:10:40 PM »
One of the reasons why I'd never recommend Muzzy's in Kaya to anyone is because of the water trick that they use.

Each time a dolmus stops, his staff hand out "free" water to those getting of. They make a big show of "breaking the seal" and then handing over the nice fresh bottle of water. In actual fact they just collect the empties at the end of the day and fill them with tap water ready for the next day.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 21:21:04 PM »
i have seen a bar in koca calis on the beach do the same with efes ,half empty bottles left on the beach topped up plus top put back ,then put back in the fridge.i did tell them and they said i was wrong ,they have closed this year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf