Author Topic: Speaker Elections  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Speaker Elections
« on: June 30, 2015, 15:11:50 PM »
In today's elections four candidates are standing (AKP, CHP, MHP and HDP) for the position of Speaker in Parliament. This year this is seen as being given extra importance as it could be a guide to possible coalition outcomes. The first elections today requires a 2/3rds majority to elect the speaker. If not, there is a second election with the same rule. If no outcome there will be elections tomorrow. The third election will be based on simple majority. If that doesn't work there will be a straight run-off between the two leading candidates.

OK. got that? The result of Election 1 is AKP 256, CHP 125, MHP 81. HDP 81. Now on to Election 2.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Speaker Elections
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 15:15:07 PM »
Cue an overnight session of frantic lobbying and promises made that'll be broken at the first opportunity.

Well done to HDP though!  I seem to remember reading something that they were boycotting the election.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 15:18:25 PM »
Oh yes, the famous early hours "smoke filled rooms". And I bet in Turkey they still are.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 15:21:23 PM »
Not for the AKP though...  the wee man cannae stand smoke  :)

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 16:44:16 PM »
Election Round Two.
AKP 256 (same), CHP 128 (up 3), MHP 80 (down 1). HDP 80 (down 1). On we go to tomorrow!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 18:47:52 PM »
Slightly off topic but the wee man, unlawfully, has ordered the army to invade Syria and secure buffer zones.

The army said we can't act on verbal instructions, written instructions were rushed out, the army said the

wording was wrong, it was amended but they still said it was wrong. They then said they couldn't act

until a new Government was formed. Good for them. Ozel retires from the army next month so I don't

suppose he gives a monkeys. Let's hope it's the start of a new direction.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 14:31:58 PM »
Some commentators were saying "Look out for surprise in Election Round 3" but it was boringly like yesterday. AKP 259 votes, CHP received 129, MHP 80, HDP 78. Now on to the last round which is a straight runoff between AKP and CHP. MHP say they will have 80 blank votes, HDP will probably vote CHP so AKP will win. Then we can start wondering about an AKP/MHP coalition.

P.S. All over. AKP 258, CHP 182. AKP votes came from its own deputies CHP picked up 50 votes from other party/ies.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 16:06:21 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 22:05:12 PM »

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 22:24:02 PM »

Maybe that's all they're fit for,   opposition. A golden opportunity missed.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
As expected, AKP get the speakers position.  Many political commentators are suggesting that the MHP's decision to abstain, i.e. not vote for Baykal, is an indication that a coalition between the AKP and MHP is on the cards.

I'm not yet sure on the implications of this - specifically relating to the economy, but it's likely to stabilise the lira in the short term if nothing else. 

The more I hear and read of Demirtaş, the more I like the guy.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf