Author Topic: Travel info required for Northern Cyprus/TRNC please.  (Read 1953 times)

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
Travel info required for Northern Cyprus/TRNC please.
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
For some time I've wanted to visit Northern Cyprus. I've never been to Cyprus at all (Mrs Villain is actually 1/4 Greek Cypriot and she's never been either) but in my head, I imagine it to be less developed (and therefore more charming) than the Greek side.

The current unstable situation in mainland Turkey has finally put me off going to the mainland this year, and being a short drive away from an EU border gives that slight extra feeling of security (it doesn't put me off so much, but I do have kids to consider).

So we've all agreed to do a bit of both sides of the Green Line of Cyprus. The plan is: fly to Larnaca for 2+ weeks spend the bulk of the time probably in Kyrenia/Girne ideally in an apartment on a complex  for 8-11 days, and also have a few days in or our around Larnaca, probably in a so-called family-friendly All Inclusive hellhole for 4-7 days.

Other than knowing that all of Cyprus uses the British 3 pin plugs and they drive on the correct side of the road, I don't know too much about the place.

Any family-friendly travel tips, border advice, accommodation advice, info on Kyrenia/Girne and Larnaca gratefully received.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Travel info required for Northern Cyprus/TRNC please.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
Hilary and I had a wonderful holiday in TRNC a few years ago and have said we will go back one day. In our view it was far, far more pleasant than the southern part - where had been three or four times but wouldn't go back now. Changes now mean the best way to get there is to fly to Larnaca and take a taxi across the border to Kyrenia - which is a lovely Venician harbour town. Flying direct to TRNC still means landing first in Istanbul or Izmir and sitting on the tarmac for an hour which adds two hours to the total each way journey time. We were there in 2002 but it could have been 1974. Still bags of old world, British-style charm to the place. Speaking Turkish but driving on the left; pillar boxes with with ER inscribed on them but painted in PTT yellow; restaurants just by the side of splashing waves, with armies of black coated waiters, crisp white table cloths, and gleaming cutlery.We hired a car and drove all along the Five Finger Mountain range to the very end of Karpaz - the panhandle (where the tiny population of scattered villages is still Greek). A great preparation is to read Bitter Lemons by Lawrence Durrell set in Northern Cyprus under British rule in the 1950s. Then go to Bella Pais, climb up to the house (same name as book) where Durrell lived and go back down to the square and sit under the famous "Tree of Idleness" (which is now conveniently part of a bar).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:42:30 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
Great post Colwyn! It's sounds perfect and you're making want to go there RIGHT NOW!  8)

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 14:31:52 PM »
It's lovely in the north. Much more peaceful than the south.
I personally thought it was a lot more Greek then Turkish.
We flew into Larnanca and hired a car.
No problem crossing the border with it, although there is a border check.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 15:19:22 PM »
There's a whole load of very useful information on Trip Advisor.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 18:54:33 PM »
I'm sure there is, KKOB, but It's the opinion of people on here I'd trust and value more than those on Tripadvisor. Apologies if it appears to be a lazy question.

Offline koukla

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 15:50:40 PM »
It's beautiful in the north. Some car hire companies won't allow you to travel over the border so best to make sure you've checked that out and there's a small charge to pay at the border....I can't remember how much but do remember that it's inexpensive. Kyrenia is just stunning and it's a lot quieter, calmer, more scenic and less expensive than the south.  Wishing you a fabulous holiday

Offline sadler

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 16:38:36 PM »
After holidaying in various parts of Greece for over 10 years, we decided to try Northern Cyprus as a change. We loved it so much, we went to Calis the next year, bought while we there on a fortnight's
holiday and haven't been back to Greece since! That was over ten tears ago.............  :) 8)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 17:07:07 PM »
So, you loved Northern Cyprus so much, you bought a place in Calis.

Is it me ?  ;)

Offline sadler

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 17:45:37 PM »
No, not you KKOB, I obviously didn't make myself clear! After hearing about the atrocities the Greeks told us continuously, it seemed, that they suffered at the hands of the Turkish, we didn't expect the Turkish people we were to meet in N. Cyprus to be as lovely as they were. So, given that very nice experience which we had in Cyprus, we thought we would give "proper" Turkey a try the next year. It was during THAT holiday when we bought.  ;)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf