Author Topic: Last regulation on driving licence change to Turkish  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Inspector

Last regulation on driving licence change to Turkish
« on: April 08, 2016, 13:45:42 PM »
Hello I need to inform  members about foreigners driving licence changing problems.

Fethiye Trafik Police Office Driving licence section started to request education document for applicants nearly two months ago.
This is a big problem for United Kingdom Citizens.

In United Kingdom there is no education level document for primary secondary and high school. Most of applicants age are over 65 and also their school closed moved and it's impossible to find any info about their education level.

We informed driving licence section about that issue and they contacted Ankara via telephone about it but couldnt solve the problem.

We also send a letter to Mugla Police About the problem and they have send our letter to Ministery of Internal Affairs.

We have contacted UK Ambassy and informed them via Fethiye honorary consul about problem. They told that they are in touch with Ministery of Internal Affairs but still there is no result.

While waiting for the solution of education level documents problem a new regulation problem came.

For driving licence change process they will write a document asking your records to UK DVLA for proving. This process will take  2-3 months at least.

That means you will apply for changing driving licence, they will accept your application, send it to UK DVLA. After the answer from UK you will  go to police office again and complete online application.

We have requested officers to ask for education level of applicants on the proving document to DVLA.
If DVLA writes education level of applicant on answering documents, this may be a solution.

If any of you can contact DVLA and United Kingdom Ambassy via e-mail and explain the education documents problem this may help each other.

We are trying to do our best on solving problems and informing members

INSPECTOR
ELITE STYLE CONSULTANCY

Offline Jim Fraser

Re: Last regulation on driving licence change to Turkish
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 13:52:50 PM »
The Inspector really tries to help - well done that man, hope you get some answers that will make things easier for those still to get the Turkish  licence.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 14:27:42 PM »
Could be interesting.

The DVLA doesn't hold a record of a person's education level. It's never been a requirement of passing a UK driving test. It's was one of the main reasons that, when road signs were originally introduced, they were pictographic.

It's still possible to take and pass a UK driving test without being able to read or write English. You can take a UK driving in over 20 different languages. There's also an option for those with dyslexia or other reading difficulties to request a voiceover for the theory part of the test. Those people surely wouldn't be able to gain a certificate of education to satisfy Turkish authoriities but would be entitled to a UK / EU licence if they passed the test ?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 14:38:07 PM by KKOB »

Offline apollo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 15:03:50 PM »
www.ocr.org.uk

This link may help those who took 'o'levels with Oxford and Cambridge Exam Board. I got replacement certificates for the exams I took in 1965.

Maybe other examination boards do something similar.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 19:08:59 PM »

http://www.aqa.org.uk/help-and-contacts/past-results/who-holds-your-records

& a link to AQA, who seem to have taken on a number of the old GCE exam boards

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 20:30:12 PM »
This was posted very recently on Doc Martins excellent FB group...

"DRiViNG LiCENCE iNFORMATiON

For information, i went to Fethiye Trafik Polıs this morning with all the documents listed on their website to change my driving licence

Problem no1
Only England is in the UK, according to their list Scotland, Wales and Northern ireland do not exist. Since my licence was issued in Northern ireland this was a big problem. i explained and showed them on my licence where it covers for the EU and UK. After numerous telephone calls they decided to accept that Northern ireland is indeed part of the UK and the EU

Problem No2
After more numerous telephone calls to Ankara, they stated that the rules have now changed and that the issuing body for your driving licence must be contacted to ensure that your licence is indeed real and valid, the reason i was given for this is that 2 recent English applications were done with false driving licences

Outcome
Trafık Polıs have taken a photocopy of my licence and passport and will send this to the issuing office to insure that it is real, valid and legitimate and that it has not been revoked or has endorsements on it.

They say this will take up to 5 months to do, when they receive confirmation back from the issuing authority they will ring me and i can then make another appointment to exchange my legally held licence for a Turkish licence.

So they way it looks at the minute is that there is no chance of my licence being exchanged in time for the June deadline"

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:22:32 AM »
On a daily basis I observe Turkish driving that can only have come from a driver without a fully evolved brain, that surely could not have have been educated in anyway... But still they qualify for a license to drive .... You couldn't make it up

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »
Turkish people have always needed to provide evidence of Primary School education which has since been changed to a High School education.

I am sooooo glad I did mine straight away. And it wasn't so painful in the end to part with my UK licence. It's not like it's lost or anything. Anyone going back to live in the UK just needs to contact DVLC to have it reissued.

When I'm there I find people drive too fast and prefer to use public transport unless I'm getting a lift of course   :)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
This posted today..... So until they close the loophole, it looks as though a trip back to the UK or popping over to Greece every six months is the solution...

THE LATEST INFO ISSUED TODAY ON DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE.
From The UKinTurkey 12/4/2016.
·
We have now received an update from the Turkish MFA on the exchange of foreign driving licences.
On the issue of the 6 month validity period they state ‘kindly be advised that validity term of the driving licences of foreign nationals in Turkey start with their entry to Turkey. This validity term restarts with every new entry.’
On the educational certificates issue the MFA inform us that ‘a certificate of education’ is required for the exchange process. For those of you who, like many of us, have no longer got your original school certificates you can apply for a copy using https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate ..If you can’t get a replacement certificate for an O level, CSE, GCSE or A level - your exam board will send you a ‘certified statement of results’ instead. On this site there is a list of which exam board you need to contact if your old exam board no longer exists.
In addition, we are aware that some of you have asked about using the ‘driving licence information’ or code from the DVLA that you can find on gov.uk-https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence to give to the Turkish Traffic Authorities instead of them contacting the DVLA directly about the validity and authenticity of your UK licence. Acceptance of the information in this format, which is not an official document, depends entirely on the discretion of the Turkish authorities and would likely require translating and notarising if accepted which would incur additional expense.

Offline Inspector

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 14:07:09 PM »
Document from authorised school that showing You can read and write is enough to solve the problem.

To Turkish citizens this document is given by HALK EĞiTiM (Public Education) section after a short exam.

We asked HALK EĞiTiM  if they can do this also for UK citizens. They say no, they can do this just for Turkish Citizens.

We asked same issue to Language schools. They say, They can give this document to UK citizens after a short interview. :-)

But Trafic Police Officers says they need to  write and ask '' if they can accept language school documents'' to Ankara and wait for the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf