Author Topic: pangus fish  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: pangus fish
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
Are they old enough to smoke?

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »

I bought some fish fillets from Tesco here in the UK , called River Cobbler . someone told me to look it up online and very similar " river cobbler,  basa fish species of Pangasius catfish"  fished in one of the most polluted rivers in the world in Vietnam.

Cant comment on the taste as they went straight to the bin

Offline philrose

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
There is a lot of misinformation about this fish on the internet. I suggest people do their own research and decide for themselves...

Offline fishman

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
Worked in the largest fish market in Europe in Billingsgate London since 1978 fish has massively changed over the years we have also sold pangus fish on the company I work for, not that often to be truthful but it will never harm you as people in the above threads have said do your own homework but to be truthful sometimes you are better not to as you may find out your favourite dish may not be anymore.
Bit of sauce or batter makes it very tasty lol

Offline philrose

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 13:00:28 PM »
I use it when I make a fish pie. Works a treat....

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 13:11:07 PM »

Do people always check the dietary habits of all creatures before eating their flesh.?

Do they demand to know what has been poured over their crops before devouring them?

Did anyone die from the Horse meat scandal.?   Neigh.!!     Eat and be merry or die of fright.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 14:23:38 PM »
There is a lot of misinformation about this fish on the internet. I suggest people do their own research and decide for themselves...

Agree 100%.  The major fish importers, who in turn supply places like Tesco, Iceland etc, are not going to risk their businesses by importing fish that may harm the end consumer.  The panga is farmed all over SE Asia and eaten on a regular basis by millions - I'm not one of those millions, but that's simply because I find the flavour a touch neutral.  No other reason.

Did anyone die from the Horse meat scandal.? 

Nothing wrong with horse meat, in fact quite the reverse.  All over the low countries and in the north of France its still very popular, and with good reason.  Its delicious!

Go to any market town in the north east of France and on a Saturday you'll see the horse butchers (Boucheries Chevalines) vans with their refrigerated displays of sausages, pates, steaks and so on. 

JF

Offline marina

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 14:29:05 PM »
We had horse meat steaks a couple of years ago. bought from one of those same vans in France John, in the Canal du Midi region of the south. It was delicious as you say!   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 17:26:40 PM »
Current UK Gov dietary advice is to eat two portions of oily fish a week. Does "oily fish" include Scottish North Sea haddock?

Offline fishman

• Newly Registered
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 18:40:01 PM »
No Colwyn but what a lovely piece of fish that is

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf