Author Topic: UK Domestic Energy Prices 2017/18  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
UK Domestic Energy Prices 2017/18
« on: August 27, 2017, 13:00:41 PM »
Usually Colwyn starts this annual topic   :)

We moved to Sainsburys Energy for 2016/2017 on a fixed tariff - saving us (by their year end calculations) £680 over their standard rate for both electricity & gas. Interesting to see that the projected saving for 2017/18 over their standard rate won't be anything like last year's £680, it will be £15!!

Off to Uswitch.com and now signed up with a company called Bulb who offer 100% renewable energy and by Sainsburys own figures will save us nearly £400 during the year.

Don't stay where you are because it's easy folks - it could be costing you literally hundreds of pounds. Enough for two return flights to Dalaman :D

It's nearly as easy to go to uswitch.com and see what you can save - then a few clicks and that's your move in progress.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: UK Domestic Energy Prices 2017/18
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 13:03:32 PM »
We switched in April via uswitch.com from Eon at £78 per month to iSupply for £62 per month for our electricity.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 14:47:53 PM »
I switch my energy provider every year, And do you know what I hate?. The fact that you are leaving your supplier and they call up and then offer a lower/better tariff, or better customer service.....REALLY gets on me nerves. >:(

Offline Fran

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 14:52:58 PM »
I switched using money saving expert.com it was a collective switch which is ending soon. They are trying to get a new one up and running. If not Bulb is the cheapest for us as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 15:03:13 PM »
Most remiss of me not to have started this thread. Switched in April to Bristol Energy. This is a municipal energy company, so not only am I saving money, but I am also contributing to the Council's coffers. As a bonus, the customer service so far has been outstanding. Unfortunately, most of you have the misfortune of living elsewhere rather than in the UK's best city (Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide) so can't take advantage of this. Bristol was the first municipal provider. but more are springing up, so you may find one in your area.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 15:17:47 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 17:05:26 PM »
I switch my energy provider every year, And do you know what I hate?. The fact that you are leaving your supplier and they call up and then offer a lower/better tariff, or better customer service.....REALLY gets on me nerves. >:(

I hate when my car insurance renewal comes through and it is way more than last year - so I go on uswitch.com or comparethemarket.com and get a much better deal - from the people I am currently insured with!!

THAT really gets on my nerves :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 17:07:32 PM »
I've also cancelled Virgin Media for our phone & broadband, and Three for the twins mobiles to move the lot to BT. Aamzing the deals VM and Three can do once you've made your decision.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 17:33:02 PM »
I switched us to Octopus Energy last year and we saved a few hundred quid. Shopped around again this year and they are still my cheapest option.

Also brilliant service! I always seem to get the same person to deal with if I have any questions.

I'm like Scunner with the car insurance. I shop around and usually end up cancelling and getting it much cheaper with the same provider. LV.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 17:35:10 PM »

I hate when my car insurance renewal comes through and it is way more than last year - so I go on uswitch.com or comparethemarket.com and get a much better deal - from the people I am currently insured with!!

THAT really gets on my nerves :D

Yep. Been there, done that. Bloody Tesco ! Got a renewal notice from them for £120 more than the current policy. Went on gocompare.com and found they were not only the cheapest but were £80 cheaper than my current policy.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
UK Domestic Energy Prices 2017/18
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 18:00:08 PM »

I'm like Scunner with the car insurance. I shop around and usually end up cancelling and getting it much cheaper with the same provider. LV.

Yep we stayed with Hastings Direct for Steph's car for about four years in a row but never once because their renewal was acceptable - it was never acceptable and by a long way.  Go on a comparison site and there it was, year after year top of the list.

Saga was cheapest this year, so that's us, officially old.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 18:08:50 PM by Scunner »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf