Author Topic: Xmas/new year break 2018  (Read 5036 times)

Offline sunlover

Xmas/new year break 2018
« on: January 14, 2018, 20:47:58 PM »
We are looking at going to Calis on boxing day this year and staying until new year, we are looking for hotel or apartment recommendations that will have heating , as we will probably need it then.

Are there any people on CBF that have stayed over this period of year.

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
Re: Xmas/new year break 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 14:13:49 PM »
Stopped over for a night at the Nil Boutique Hotel on boxing Day 2017 Great room recently refurbished to a high standard. warm with a very comfortable bed, and a stunning view out to sea.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 18:13:51 PM »
Harman is all year round and cosy

Offline sunlover

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 21:16:04 PM »
Cosy ! That means small to me, but i will have a look at the hotel, at the moment the Nil bar boutique is the favourite, had a great refurb last year we saw it and looked very comfortable

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 21:29:46 PM »
Haha - no I genuinely meant cosy as in cosy and warm, not cosy as in compack and bejoo :D

The rooms are a decent size

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:27:27 AM »
We are here now Sunlover arrived 3rd Jan and its been fantastic...its the first January weve been able to go away as Mrkarennina retired June last year, ( noone wants to use all their annual leave in January) Thomas Cook put a flight on from Gatwick and what a good move they made, big plane all seats taken apart from about 2...the chap that greeted us as we boarded asked " if we were going home" we were a wee bit confused and then he said were calling this the ex pats flight as everyone appears to be going home to some place in Turkey! We have been blessed with some beautiful sunny days, one day we managed lunch down at the waters edge at the beach and even had a little dose in the sun, it was heaven ????Beware the evenings are very very cold, Scunner's word cosy is a word we have used several times in the past 2 weeks, we could put our aircon on heat but are enjoying "going back in time"pre central heating days! We have a winter duvet and a big thick blamket on bed ( blanket resembles something out of Dell Boy's flat ???? we put a couple of hot water bottles in the bed, socks, pj's me some evenings a wooly hat on too! There has been quite a few places open on the prom though we have been opting to cook most nights, been out  a few nights both have been good nights out..we have cycled further then we ever have before out here as its just not doaeble for us in the summer months.We are here at our little home one more week then going to Antalya for a week, the prices have been amazing for a weeks stay at most of the 5* all inclusive hotels & resorts, ( im guessing they will have central heating!) weve already said we will defo be doing the same next January...oh and there appear to have been good bargains in the shops in Fethiye one of my favs Lc Wykici has a sale on at the mo and have some great bargains, if they had my fat size I would be able to get a coat similar to uk coats iv been looking at for £55 uk price £20/25 here...   ;)   ;)  8) ps we had 2 nights at the refurbed Nil bar summer last year in the Penthouse and it was fab, the suite had everything you could poss need and its all been done out beautufully, fab sea views...not sure about warm as we stayed in July but Im sure it will be warm if theyv been designed for all year round use...

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Very helpful post Karennina.  I was considering a week or so next January after the busy life I usually lead over the Christmas and New Year periods.  I haven't stayed at the hotels mentioned in this thread although I've passed by many times.  Summer/autumn stays include Oykun, Tugay and apartments but I think they close during the winter months.  Sounds rather chilly from your post so Long Johns could be useful for evening wear!
Alternatively, Antalya has been suggested..........some people say it has a warmer climate than Calis or Fethiye during winter and it also has the advantage for me of direct flights from Manchester.
Food for thought!
Best wishes.     :)

Offline sunlover

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 19:05:17 PM »
Thanks for all the information, we have decided to try Calis for the new year, we have booked flights for 26th December -2nd January, we have booked the Nil Bar boutique hotell, we visited it last year and was very impressed with it.

We have always said we would try Calis out of season, so this gives us the chance to do this, be nice to have some warm days but we are not focusing on sunny days but a break away.

If you decide to go again next year Karennina, we can meet up.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
I caught the bus to Antalya otogar a few years ago it was around 10th Dec and i remember thinking it was defo warmer then Fethiye temps...I seriously cant believe ( in a good way) the prices for all inclusive 5* resorts in Antalya I paid more then that in uk for a hotel stay for 1 night for my hubby's 60th...most of all the hotels are closed Dennis weve noted as weve been out and about on our bikes... We were saying with one of the restsurant owners in Calis the other day if only more flights came here direct in winter & the hotels stayed open and had some form of heating there is no reason why it couldnt be an all year round resort, for us its been far better then being in uk for January, plus as a SAD's sufferer re it not getting dark until gone 6 of an evening has been fab, though i can see how folk taking their children to school in morning in the dark and cold cant be much fun! I think some of the Fethiye hotels like the Yacht ones are open in winter? That will be nice Sunlover to meet up if we go next Jan...glad ur now sorted re your hotel, think youv made a good choice re ul be warm and have hot water!  :)

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 14:24:26 PM »

Oludeniz December 2017

Well we have just back from a great week away. Oludeniz December 2017. Three days in Oludeniz. One in Calis and ending with the last three in Fethiye.

Set off from a cold wet day in Manchester and landed in Antalya around 6 pm local time. It was quite warm about 18 degrees I was expecting it to be much cooler. The transfer to Oludeniz took around 3 hours. Stopping for a break mid way as we made our way over the mountains. When we did stop at the halfway point between Antalya and Oludeniz It was freezing cold and was snowing quite heavily.

As we were not sure what the weather was going to be like. We booked accommodation which was more luxurious than we usually have in Turkey. The Oyster Residences behind the Sey Bar were perfect with a view out to sea. And if the weather was bad we would still have the comfort of a nice room to stay in. There was only one other couple there when we stayed. Who were there for the paragliding and also to see Oludeniz in winter.

Arriving at Oludeniz at around 10pm on the December the 23rd it did look as we had expected, most places were shut. We were met at our apartment and shown our room. Dropped our bags off and went out to see if anywhere was open. There was a cafe next door and some men were watching the TV inside. We asked if there was somewhere open where we could get a nightcap. We were welcomed in and had a couple of drinks inside. Hector one of the men inside told us not many were staying in the resort. Around 10 at the Akdeniz Beach Hotel and probably only 20 or so people in all.

Only three bars were open on the sea front the Sey Bar, Cloud 9 and The Kumsal Pide. But were only open from around 10am to 8pm. If you wanted to stay out later a short dolmus (bus) or taxi up the hill to Hisaronu was the answer. There were more places open up there and stayed open until late. Catering for the many who have moved over to live in the area.
Weather – Oludeniz December 2017 Holiday

The weather was great clear blue sky’s most of the time and in the sun the temperature was in the low 20s. I had t shirts and shorts on for a couple of days. My better half even had a swim in the sea on boxing day. We were the only ones on the beach at the mouth of the lagoon. I would liken the climate it to a nice sunny spring day in May back in the UK. When the sun went in the temperature dropped quite quickly and you needed a thick jumper or coat on if outside.

On Christmas day the Kumsal Pide was very busy. At midday Around 40 ex pats came down form Ovacik and had food and drinks there apparently its an annual event. A great atmosphere and even a Turkish Santa was in attendance. Sat in the sun we wondered if the weather was a one off and if we had just been lucky this year. Then we overheard one of the ex pats say it was his 8th Christmas day at the Kumsal Pide and every year it had been perfect weather.

Other things that are different are the suns position. It sets right at the middle of the bay at Oludeniz making the sunsets quite dramatic. It is also the only time you can actually see the Greek island Rhodes in the distance out to sea. The water seems much clearer, and the beach has no boats along the seafront. only a few people walking and fishing along the shore.

Oludeniz in December was so relaxing and laid back we had a great 3 days the paragliders were there as usual, Boat trips were on but only with small boats carrying 2 or 3 people. We had a walk over to Kidrick beach and back. Went on a boat trip one day. But spent much of the time enjoying having the resort to ourselves.  Just walking around the countryside and along the seafront. There were other people staying there but not many. Most of the people during the day were just visiting for a few hours by the beach or were there to paraglide.

Walking through the resort I can see why people say it is a ghost town.  Most places are shut. Some of the hotels and bars have workmen in them getting things ready for the next holiday season. The main strip could have been used for the set of a post apocalyptic zombie movie it was that empty. This didn’t bother us at all we quite liked the tranquility. We will be back in May and see it quite different. Hisaronu was much the same most places shut and looked even more like an abandoned holiday resort. However the bars that were open were busier and had local ex pats gathering in them.

When our 3 days were over we really did not want to go. Wishing we had booked the week in Oludeniz. But we wanted to see Calis and had never actually stayed in Fethiye so after a last walk along the beach we hopped on the Dolmus to Fethiye and on to Calis.

We got to Calis mid afternoon on Boxing day the weather was still great the sun was warm and we were surprised how busy Calis was in comparison to Oludeniz, the bars along the front were all busy and it looked more like a holiday resort.  We dragged our bags up to the Nil bar where we had booked a room. Outside was Tarik who we knew from the Destina in Ovacik where we have stayed a few times. He now worked at the Nil Bar, small world. Dropped our bags off and went outside to have a drink and watch the sun go down. and it was quite spectacular Calis is known for good sunsets.

The bars along the front were less busy during the night but there were still quite a few open with people inside. The Nil Bar itself was very busy. The next day after breakfast we had a walk along the front at Calis and then set off on the dolmus for our last 3 nights in Fethiye the weather was still great although there were now some clouds in the sky.
Fethiye – Oludeniz December 2017 Holiday

After a short walk from the Dolmus we arrived at our hotel in Fethiye. The Hotel Unique looked stunning the decor was great as was our room with a view over the harbour and a hot-tub on the balcony. we went for a walk around the old town and along the harbour. By the time we got back we decided to have a meal in the hotel as the clouds had come over by now and it had just started to rain.

The next day it was still dull with light showers but soon brightened up and by lunchtime it was blue sky and sun again. I went out in the morning walking up to the castle and rocktombs with a coat and a sweatshirt on and came back carrying them both in my backpack.

The next day was our last full day and the weather had broken. It was not cold but was dull and rainy we went around the museum in Fethiye and then decided to get the dolmus back up to Hisaronu and have an afternoon having a few drinks and a meal in the bars up there. By the time we got back to Fethiye that evening the heavens opened and the thunderstorm began. Still we had a good day again. We usually go in May and October and often get a day of rain while on holiday.

We got up the next day the 30th it was still raining. Our transfer would be here soon to take us back to the UK. I was hoping the rain would stop for all the people there getting ready for the New Year. Looking on the internet when we got back it did brighten up thankfully. The next day the sun was again lighting up that beautiful turquoise coastline. Back home It was cold and grey as per usual living in the North West of England.

Oludeniz in December. Would I go again for Christmas? Its an easy answer YES. try and stop me I will definitely be spending another Christmas day there! It was one of the best Christmas breaks we have ever had. We did originally book for Side near Antalya but changed our minds last minute. And are so glad we did. Having come back after a great week with lots of walking and sightseeing. If we had gone to Side in the all inclusive (all abusive) hotel we would have probably stayed around the hotel all week. Drank like fish and fed ourselves like foie gras geese. I’m sure we would have enjoyed that also though ????

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf