Author Topic: Help for an Addict  (Read 17924 times)

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
Re: Help for an Addict
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 22:36:26 PM »
Forsooth dear Colwyn,thou efforts to raise one's moral disposition inspires!!  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
Detectives on TV & Film
How come Sherlock Holmes is nearly always shown wearing the deerstalker hat that he doesn't have in the novels whereas Maigret is seen without the bowler that he is never on duty without in the books?

Offline yabanci

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
Artistic License !!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
I did say I would report back on how I got on with Harry Hole the Norwegen detective in novels by Jo Nesbo. I was torn between starting with the first book Nesbo wrote or going to the Oslo Trilogy which a lot of people said was much better. In the end I went with the first book and wasn't really impressed with Harry's exploits in Australia. However, I haven't let that put me off and have now started on the Oslo Trilogy.

On the other matter I am still struggling with Don Quixote and not quite 40% of my way through. My word that Cervantes doesn't half use up a mountain of words! I think I have found out why most people identify Don Quixote as the bloke who tilted at windmills - that tale is in the first few pages! Hundreds of pages later - at least it felt like that - I discovered that Cervantes also inspired the use of the term "Lothario" for an unscrupulous seducer of women which derives from his tale of The Two Friends, Anselmo and Lothario. Perhaps I'll find more such legacies as I plough on.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »
If you put Lothario into Google Translate for Welsh --> English it comes up as Sheep Enthusiast.  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 20:12:16 PM »
I have a couple of book recommendations for Colwyn if he pops in for a browse...

Sharon Bolton - Dead Woman Walking

and

Reginald Hill - The Woodcutter which is nothing like the Dalziel and Pascoe novels he is perhaps most famous for.

He died in 2012 I have just read on the internet  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf