Author Topic: What a cheek!!!!!  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Janice1971

What a cheek!!!!!
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »
My family have booked into a little hotel in Calis for 2 weeks in August, we booked this through Travel Republic, we had a phonecall from them last night asking what nationality we were (obviously because I have a Turkish surname they already knew this information) to cut a long story short, if we were a Turkish family the rate that we have already paid for wouldnt apply.  My husband called the guy at the hotel last night and he told my husband that he didnt have to explain why he needed the information and then went on to put the phone down on him, I hope this isnt going to be a taste of things to come when we actually arrive at the place!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
A cheek indeed [:o] But I bet I know why...

Travel Republic screw down the hoteliers to such a low rate that they are basically making nothing. They take the business in the hope of making a bit of profit elsewhere - bar, meals, etc. Now, several different (Turkish) sources have told me that they don't want Turkish customers because they will all sit round a table and ask for a bottle of water and six glasses.

Not my opinion, just passing on the information, and it doesn't make it acceptable. I can imagine this sort of thing is no problem in Turkey but I'd be surprised if Travel Republic can legally do this in the UK.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 18:34:38 PM »
Where/what is the name of the hotel ?

Ron

Offline sunlover

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
Agree, we need to know the name of this hotel...

Offline Janice1971

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
Tugay Hotel (not sure if I spelt that right)

Offline jan deli

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 19:07:51 PM »
Not just T Rep putting up rates for Turkish people have been looking at several hotels to come in Oct to be with my lovely man both would like a hotel as we both work full time be nice to be looked after rather than self cater as we usually do, a lot say for EU members only why is this ?

Offline Janice1971

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
Hi Jan, apparently its because the hotels dont make much on the room rates so they rely on making money with food and drinks etc and apparently Turks dont spend money!!!

Offline screamlead

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 15:22:54 PM »
They also make big time on the Aircon, Fridge and room safe con too. Check your bookings, magazines and company as if aircon mentioned in those then they are not supposed to charge extra. Works out expensive at 3 quid an item over two weeks especially if you didnt expect it.

Offline jan deli

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 22:53:42 PM »
I have been looking at half board so most of the meals will have been paid for, we all sneek a bit of booze into our rooms if there is a fridge to be had but would buy drinks at meal times.We do eat and drink out when i'm over and share the cooking at other times so we do spend money,not on the front but where the locals go.We're both on holiday time to see friends and family so do get out and about a lot, just would be nice to be looked after for a change.Shouldn't need aircon in Oct never found it warm enough he still has jumpers on in June !!!! thanks for the replies.

Offline kizkucuk

What a cheek!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 21:40:11 PM »
Most tour operators in the UK will only sell to UK citizens.  When I worked in the travel industry I had problems booking any other nationality.  When I travel with my husband in Turkey we usually book direct with the hotel although have used booking.com without any problems too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf