Author Topic: Driving Mountain Road From Fethiye to Antalya .  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Driving Mountain Road From Fethiye to Antalya .
« on: September 02, 2011, 15:26:17 PM »
I'm coming over for a week in October and I'm seriously considering driving this route. I'll be stopping off at Kas and spending the night there.
So just wondering if anyone else has done this road trip and if they have any recommendations on any special sites to see etc?

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 19:27:11 PM »
Steve, there are two routes, the quicker one is through the mountains, it's very scenic and you will not have a problem in October, I would guess most of us have done this route the other way around in winter when it can be a bit dodgy with massive snow drifts, the coastal route you plan is quite a bit further and very twisty, but scenery is to die for. You will pass by Pratra, Kalkan & Kas which are lovely but I would suggest you break your trip for a stay in Adrassan (spelling?) it is lovely, hotels on the beach and a place that has not been found by mass tourism, in fact by minor tourism ! You can visit places like Olympos while there. Enjoy, because once you get to Antalya .............. !!

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 19:27:21 PM »
I'm confused, Kas is on the coast road.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 20:04:45 PM »
But there's also a turn off from the mountain road

Offline TheBruces187

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »
In April 2009 we drove to Antalya over the inland route and back (partially) via the coastal route. Both trips have wonderful scenery. The coastal route is a bit bendy in parts but I think they now have a decent road around Kalkan. As we have done the Calis to Kas bit previously we decided to go inland from Finike to Elmali. This was a real experience but should not be underestimated if you have nervous drivers or passengers. My map didn't give much of an indication of just how high the mountain road climbs. In April the very top was covered in snow but the road was still easily passable. Not for those of a nervous disposition, though. Wouldn't have missed it but am pretty sure we won't be going that way again!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
Steve, Mrs KKOB and I did the trip several times when she was being treated in Antalya. It's a good road and well worth the trip if you haven't done it before. The biggest town on the route is Korkuteli and it's worth stopping and having a look around. There's plenty of choice of really good traditional restaurants and lokantas etc.

The best part of the coastal route is between Fethiye and Kas which you and I have done before. Remember me asking that copper for "indirim" when he gave me a ticket for not having paid the tax on the car ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 13:36:43 PM »
I found the mountain route to be an interesting experience the first time we did it. The second time I couldn't believe how mind numbingly boring it was [:o] - Korkuteli is worth a brief look around, as I recall it is a dry town though? As Alan says, some really plain but tastily authentic lokantas there.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 14:20:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner
 as I recall it is a dry town though?

No, I'm sure it was raining when we went there last 'cos I remember Mrs KKOB swearing about it. She's usually swearing about something. My driving, my eating, my breathing....... ;)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 14:43:10 PM »
Going to Isparta via Korkuteli, what's the road like during winter???

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 14:54:25 PM »
It can get a bit hairy, especially if it's snowing. They try to keep the roads open because it's the main trunk route for coaches and trucks but if the snow comes down heavily they get vehicles to park-up at roadside restaurants until the snowploughs can get through.

Make sure you've got snowchains, and most importantly, know how to fit them properly. A couple of blankets, a shovel and a spare container of fuel will also come in useful together with a sense of humour, but I know you've got that anyway.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf