Author Topic: Well, we did it ......  (Read 56843 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Well, we did it ......
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »
I'm intrigued..........

Offline Lotty

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm sitting here in my onesie, cup of tea in hand yet I'm there with you on your balcony taking in those fabulous views!  8) :D

Offline suehugh

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Evocative and prosaic.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:36 AM »
 :D and  :-\

Offline sadler

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2015, 18:18:25 PM »
An excellent read Menthol. How about a sequel "my observations after a year in Turkey".   ;) ???

Offline Menthol

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2015, 23:43:41 PM »
Chapter 9: 'Hoşgeldiniz!'

January 2014. The white Renault Symbol hire car struggled up the mountain road. A line of large gravel pieces deposited after the early morning rains, rasped under the tyres and shot like bullets into the roadside undergrowth. We willed the car upwards in stuttering second gear and then stalled as a large black rooster wearing feathered flares dashed in front of us, dangerously close to spinning tyres. Two failed, almost vertical hill starts later and we pulled up in front of the house. Our house.

We looked non-plussed at the large bunch of keys and teddy bear keyring in TA’s hand.
‘I don’t know, you are just going to have to try them all.’ I contemplated the huge vault like door with it’s mysteriously foreign three-lock system.
‘You do the door and I’ll go and switch the electricity on’, I called over my shoulder as I disappeared around the corner and down the steps to the lower terrace.

I re-appeared five minutes later, clutching my scarf to my forehead to stem the blood seeping from the gash I’d acquired courtesy of a palm tree trunk situated directly next to the electricity box. The flow was quickened by my regularly prescribed intake of Warfarin.

We still weren’t in the house. TA had resorted to profuse swearing and kicking and hitting the door. I continued to helpfully bleed, a lot, on the gravel driveway, nervously laughing at the bizarre scenario.

I heard a goat bleat, looked up and perhaps some 100 yards away saw one of our neighbours herding her flock onto the rough grass at the rear of our house. Figuring that she was Turkish and we were trying to get into a Turkish door, I called (a little desperately) for her help.
‘Merhaba! Merhaba! CAN YOU HELP?’.

She didn’t. I think she was more than a little alarmed by the two strangers shouting at her in a foreign language. One fiercely aggressive thug clearly trying to break into the house and the other an escaped lunatic with her face covered in blood.   

Hoşgeldiniz!

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2015, 13:51:17 PM »
What a fabulous way with words  8) I am loving following your adventure x

Offline Menthol

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2015, 22:33:18 PM »
Chapter 10: 'Evim'

We've owned Villa Riana for just over 13 months now. I've lived here since 10th March 2014 and not yet returned to the UK. TA is here most of the time but has to keep popping back to the UK for business related matters.

Our two sons and our daughter have been over several times and every time they return to the UK, they arrange their next visit out here.
My Mum has spent a three month stretch over here and will be coming again very soon.
I also had the very dubious pleasure of playing hostess to seven 'lads' aged between 23 and 36, when my two sons brought out five of their friends to enjoy the World Cup. I have to say I enjoyed every moment of that week - very eventful and terrific fun!

Many friends have been over and I'm looking forward to my brother and his family staying with us in May. It's a great house to have people stay.
Of course it also very enjoyable showing people around the area and feeling huge pride when they love it!

But some of the best moments with friends and family have been small quiet ones. Sat on the upper terrace silently watching the sun go down behind the mountains and then washing the skies in incredible colours. Chins resting on arms on a boat rail as you slip over aquamarine waves and exchanging a soft smile that speaks of bliss. Walking in the forest area at the side of the house, coming to a clearing and watching the faces of your friends as they see their first wild tortoises.

Of course there have been some other moments too. Moments that have not always elicited a smile.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2015, 16:38:15 PM »
Menthol, you and TA have done it all the right way and you are rewarded for it with your blissful new life. I love reading your blog. It has been the inspiration for my blog which I keep peeping at to see if my 'hit count' has increased. We'll be over in early June for 2 weeks - would love to meet up.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2015, 19:44:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to reading about the "other" moments too!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf