Author Topic: Well, we did it ......  (Read 55629 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
Re: Well, we did it ......
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:56 AM »
And then? . . . ?

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 16:33:12 PM »
She's too busy living the highlife to write about it these days.....we just trail along in her wake.  ;D

Offline angela

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2015, 20:58:38 PM »
Perhaps we should write it for her!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2015, 21:05:40 PM »
Chapter 6: 'Sweat and Tears'

'We aren't going to spend the entire two weeks looking at properties, are we?' TA whined as he wrestled with his seatbelt. I gave one of those distracted and barely-hiding-my-impatience-half-muttered, 'What? No', responses that most women will be familiar with. Firmly wedged into a seat on a Thomas Cook September flight, I was really hoping this was going to be the visit that finally secured us 'The House in Turkey'. If, only, I, could, get, comfortable ......!

--------------------------------------------------------

'I think she's here!' I called to TA as I pulled aside the white billowing curtain at the apartment window. Bang on time, our first agent Mandy, greeted us with a huge friendly grin and whisked us out of the searing heat of Calis to view the shortlisted properties in a marginally cooler Ovacik.

How can a house, in the flesh, seem SO different to the idea you had of it online? The first two houses Mandy showed us around had been okay but not for us. And now, finally the last on this agent's shortlist, House No.3. A definite favourite of mine from my endless nights scouring the internet back in Sheffield. I had been particularly excited about seeing it. And now we were here, stood on the driveway and I was so disappointed I wasn't sure if it was a bead of sweat or a tear trickling down my cheek.

The interior failed to lift my spirits. The windows were all in the wrong places, the crazy layout of the open plan downstairs area irritated me with its smallness and the pool was more 'plunge' than 'large family fun'. The 'authentic Turkish kosk' was so low it looked like a luxurious chicken coop. Was the house really owned by a diminutive family? Mandy hadn't met them, so was unable to answer ...
And our ever cheerful agent was not deterred by our tepid responses so far. 'There are other properties you may have not considered ...'

-------------------------------------------------

It was always going to be the property that swung it rather than the agent. Mandy was excellent. Could not fault her unfailing enthusiasm, her encyclopaedic knowledge of the area (lived here for 20+ years) and her ability to think outside my very closed box of criteria. She arranged new viewings there and then on the spot, although I did wonder at times if she was making a phone call or really just delivering a little hushed aside directly to the TV camera à la Phil Spencer. But, it wasn't to be. Mandy, thank you though, you were fantastic.

Bring on Agent 002, Lennie. We started the day in Calis. Property No.1 was beautiful. Everything that could have been done, had been done. And with excellent taste.  Even the furniture included in the sale was perfect. The location was flat and within yards of a dolmus route. And I am sure that if we had been 15 years older and wanted to see and speak to each and every one of our neighbours every day, and wave to them in their gardens, and nod to them on their balconies, it would have been a no brainer.

We exhausted Lennie's portfolio. I had a sort of favourite, TA had not seen 'the one'. Lennie showed us everything that came remotely near our criteria. The majority of which were handsome houses and often amazing value but just didn't press our buttons. We were all a little despondent and very tired so called it a day. As he dropped us off back at the apartment in Calis, he leaned out of the car window and called, 'I'll call you tomorrow. I have an idea'.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2015, 21:22:27 PM »
Keep going, we await with bated breath

Offline sadler

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 22:30:07 PM »
Go Menthol, go!    :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 20:00:11 PM »
Chapter 7: 'Onwards and Upwards'

As Lennie's car trundled up the winding, steep, and crazy main road into Ovacik, I marvelled at the apartment blocks on the left clinging to the hillside and envied what must be phenomenal views over the stunning vista of Fethiye Bay. We overtook the man on the scooter clutching a large gas bottle between his bare knees and holding a long, perhaps 3 metre strip of wood under his right arm and looking like some modern down at heel knight heading into a joust.

Lennie's idea, as mentioned the previous day, was to introduce us to another estate agent based in Hisaronu. Lennie assured us this guy was the only other emlak he ever worked with because he trusted him completely and utterly. In everything. And although this most trustworthy of souls, Beni very cheerfully greeted us dressed from head to toe in stylish white linen, he'd clearly left the halo at home.

Four hours later we had exhausted yet another set of properties that ticked at least half a dozen of the must-have boxes on our list. And it was hot. Again. I resisted the temptation to jump fully clothed into the pool at the final villa as Lennie and Beni had a hushed private discussion and TA lit another cigarette and asked me if I thought the tree he was looking at would bear lemons come the winter. I couldn't summon the energy to reply.

'We know you are really wanting a re-sale but Beni wants you to check out this new build. He thinks it is perfect for you'. Lennie had developed that very fine skill of staying positive and relentlessly cheerful regardless of how awkward and uncompromising the clients were. Although all I wanted to do was go back to the apartment, lay on the bed and bathe in icy air from the air con, I felt obliged to at least try and match some of Lennie's zeal.

Now I don't know about you, and despite my artistic leanings, there's a definite limit to how far I can stretch my imagination. The 'perfect for you' new build was a pattern of 1 foot high concrete and red waffle bricks. The site was a death trap of trenches and loose stones. Whilst Beni waxed lyrical about how good it would eventually look, TA lit another cigarette, fixed him with a hard stare and interrupted him with, 'Just show us something really good. Please'.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 20:14:26 PM by Menthol »

Offline cheffy

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2015, 05:43:48 AM »
Brilliant,  now you are teasing us, and loving it!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
I love your writing style Menthol - I'm intrigued!

Have you read Jack Scott's blog -  'perkingthepansies.com'  originally about his move to Turkey but general stuff now and very funny.  I read his book a couple of years ago and it was really good. 

Offline poppy50

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »
Recently donated this book Perking the Pansies, at the charity shop, on the front of Calis beach.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf