Author Topic: Braveheart  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Braveheart
« on: April 22, 2004, 17:09:41 PM »
After months of watching the forum with interest I have finally taken the plunge to join. The weather is getting better and thoughts are turning to Calis- 5 weeks tomorrow! and I must say listening to you all talking about being there is really getting me in the mood.
One question keeps popping up time after time, and this is to anyone who feels it relates to them. How come so many of you have taken the plunge to buy property after a relatively short acquaintance with Calis. I say relative as we have been going since the mid to late 80's and still stay in the same hotel (s)! As Terry Wogan would say' is it me?'. I suspect it is. It just seems sooo brave that some of you guys are taking the leap very quickly. I guess its the beauty of Calis- theres something of the magnet about it isnt there- we just keep going back!
Love the forum folks [:X]

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Braveheart
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 17:37:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum :D:D:D
I'll let you into a little secret ;)
We've never been to Calis, :( only Fethyie and Olu Deniz but we're buying an apartment there. :D This site and the information gained from all the great people on it are to blame! :P
Seriously we've fallen in love with it just through information and pictures on here. It seems just the sort of place we've always dreamed of and can't wait to visit in July :D then we can truly understand the magnetism Calis seems to have.
Anne

Offline teresa321

Braveheart
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 18:06:31 PM »
I think I can echo that.  We have been to Turkey for many years and (like you) we have stayed at the same place in Dalyan for quite a few of them.  A friend mentioned Calis as a place she liked to visit, I looked it up on the internet and found this site.

This site and all the information made us believe that it could be the place for us so we visited in January for the first time and bought.  Even in winter it was possible to see the charm of the place, it isn't as picturesque possibly as Dalyan but picturesque does not necessarily occupy you enough and Calis is very central.

No regrets at all but I will admit that it was a leap of faith  :o - with Heidi and Keith holding our hands.

Teresa :D

Offline Pickle

Braveheart
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 18:06:41 PM »
Wow Anne, that is brave! :o

Although, Cavfan, I have to say, it only took us about 2 days to realise that the area was a great choice.  We'd had a look at Alanya first, but way to German - (not that I have anything against Germans), and very flat!  
I'm sure if you decide to find your own piece of Calis, you wont regret it!  
I guess if you've been going to Turkey for that long, you must have seen some changes eh?  
Suze

Offline Tonya

Braveheart
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 18:17:58 PM »
Hi Cav and welcome to the forum,

For me the answer to your question has nothing to do with Calis and a lot to do with our personal circumstances. We had two lovely holidays to other resorts in Turkey 8 years ago, memories of these always stuck with us but we were unable to go on holiday abroad again for the next 7 years due to having two children and various health problems. After my daughter was born (now aged 3) she had a heart op at 2 weeks old and then due to complications stomach surgery as well. We almost lost her during that time but eventually she recovered. We then had to wait till she was big enough to have the full repair operation which took place when she was 2. (Various hospital admissions in the meantime)

After the last operation in July 2002, we were finally able to look forward to the future, nothing stopping us from going on holiday, and I wanted to take both children on a family holiday abroad. We chose Salou in Spain, BIG mistake lol. We did have a nice time, but it wasn't Turkey. I knew of Scunner from another site and got talking to him about buying in Calis, we knew we wanted to buy a property for an investment but also for our holidays too. I spoke to many other people on the forum and the rest is history. We are very proud owners of a lovely holiday home in Calis, which my kids have yet to see but will do in 11 days time. Nothing to do with a love of Calis, but after visiting in January, I know we did the right thing due to the people we met (all nationalities), the fantastic views, restaurants, the whole feel of the place despite the rain (and no knickers but that's another story!)  :-\

Offline sandgrounder

Braveheart
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 18:25:42 PM »
Hi Pickle and welcome to the forum  8)
Myself and Jan have only been to calis once, but we are going in 1 weeks time and we are going to buy a place. We have been to  spain, cyprus, greece and lots of other places but we have never ever said we want to buy a place anywhere, except when we came here. It is so hypnotic and alluring you just cant help wanting to be there.
Russ & jan

Offline sandgrounder

Braveheart
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 18:28:38 PM »
Pickle  sorry i meant that reply to go to cav lol
Im tired -))) (thats my excuse)

Offline sandgrounder

Braveheart
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 18:39:26 PM »
I see 8) your a new member too pickle so welcome to you too -))

Offline Pickle

Braveheart
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 18:51:52 PM »
Cheers mate, I knew what you meant!
Thanks & get some sleep! :)
Suze x

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Braveheart
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 09:46:42 AM »
Thank-you to all for your replies. I completely understand the allure of the place, twice a year for 17 years- its definitely got something!
Pickle is right, there have been some changes. For instance I remember the first villas for sale going up, across the bridge. In fact strike that - the first places to buy and oh how I wish we had bought then- were the apartments on the beach- passed the Seketur and before the Letoon. About £25k for a triplex- talk about missed the boat !
Over the bridge where the Post Office is etc- was nothing! Infact Calis ended at the bridge. Then there were fields and countryside until Gunlukbasi. The Aries and Gulistan hotels were the only ones over the bridge and then the smaller local ones in the village- the Anil for instance.
We stayed for the first time ever in the Kumsal Pension- what you know now as the Harem. In fact the Harem bar was the garden of the pension, just shrubs and trees. We arrived late one night and were put in a room at the back overlooking the river with a view to moving the next day. the first thing we did was open the shutters in our new room the next morning and that was it! The view of the bay & island. We were hooked and have been ever since.I can close my eyes at any time and see that view- keeps me warm in winter. Though I have to say we've seen it when it rains and its like everywhere else - miserable!We have done other places in Turkey too and across med generally, but have never missed a year in Calis- theres something that keeps pulling us back. Incidentally how old does it make you feel when the kids that once sold cheese pies on the beach are now big business men with families of their own, or own their own bars and eateries on the prom. Still it means the service is great for us old timers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf