Author Topic: Consular petition.  (Read 7960 times)

Offline vinvola

Consular petition.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 13:15:52 PM »
Could do with a little more response from the CBF members on this one.

Offline Old Daffodil

Consular petition.
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »
In France the law called Reserve Legale means that you cannot leave property to anyone you may want to, children are automatically given a right to claim on an inheritance, or blood line members of the family if there are no children.It can be difficult to gift property when you are alive, even to a spouse.It causes problems when a family member cannot be traced.A lot of Turkish law is based on French or Swiss law.Even if a relative is given the property the matter can be challenged by other relatives. I wonder if solicitors would refuse to make a will in Turkey, why would they if it keeps you happy and they are not breaking the law?What happens on the judges decision is not their problem, they have been paid a good fee.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 13:11:59 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Consular petition.
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 14:12:20 PM »
Turkish law is really not that much different as people may think. In the UK a family member has the right to contest a will and if the courts decide then the will can be set aside. Expats wanting to change Turkish inheritance law is a cheek and that is for the Turks to decide. If a group of foreigners requested law changes in the UK there would be uproar.It is unfortunate but you cannot please everyone all of the time.The issue is not with the law of the land, the issue is with the  legal advice that has been given.The remedy for poor legal advice is through the courts or the Turkish law society if one exists.

Part 2 of this petition deals with the treatment of Expats in Turkey and the lack of free medical care. Bizarre claims are made that the British government has broken contracts. The government has not broken any contracts,the right to free medical care still exists if you live in the UK and that has never changed.When you packed your bags and decided to live in Turkey you knew the rules and those rules have not changed.You were not deported from the UK, you left at your own free will. If anything the expat could be deemed to have broken the contract. Your taxes and NI that you have paid through your life will not probably cover the cost of the pension that you will collect. With potential increases in the pension and longer life expectancy,the total pension paid could be in excess of £150k. Most expats on private pensions(excluding civil servants) have opted for double taxation relief and are not contributing anything in tax to the UK. Your spending power is contributing towards the generation of jobs and growth in Turkey and not in the UK. Other countries with health services similar to the UK do not pay for the medical care of their nationals retired abroad.

Brits returning to live in the UK are not treated as second class, we returned and were able to register with GPs etc. I am a diabetic and immediately I was put on a screening programme and did not have to wait 3 months. I certainly do not accept the argument that most people are in Turkey because the sun is good for the conditions they suffer from. I accept there may be a few but all the people I met in Turkey not one of them ever said they were there because they had a condition that reacted better in Turkey than the UK. Most people are in Turkey because they like the country and the cheap cost of living allowed them to retire early.

Some people have also made negative comments on the way the document is written and I have to agree with them. There are numerous spelling errors and the use of some of the language is confrontational. To accuse the government of breach of contract and the use of phrases like 'Sod Off' is not the best way to get authority on your side.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 16:33:12 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline vinvola

Consular petition.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 16:19:55 PM »
This is better. At least we are getting some points of view. Please bear in mind though that the document has not been compiled by a professional. The reason for it is simply to get peoples points of view and to see if it is worth pushing for. This is the first draft and will eventually be re-written in a more fitting manner.

Offline Old Daffodil

Consular petition.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 16:46:19 PM »
Would not a decent health insurance in Turkey be a better alternative to expecting Britain to continue taking care of people who are living thousands of miles away?
How many people would vote for a political party who supported paying ex-pats health bills in any part of the world I wonder?Especially with the NHS under so much financial pressure.

Pamela Anderson
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 16:50:15 PM by Daffodil »

Offline milliemars

Consular petition.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 19:16:21 PM »
It seems though all Ex pats here would have to do is go to Georgia or the Ukraine and show their passport to be given free health care.I have a question for this Why?????.Can anyone answer this for me please.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Consular petition.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 19:42:48 PM »
I was a bit worried about the information on bank accounts fiollowing the death of one partner, surely if you hold a joint bank account, it won't be frozen after the death of a partner, will it?

Offline milliemars

Consular petition.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 20:03:13 PM »
Apparantly it has happened in the past.

Offline col

Consular petition.
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 20:13:45 PM »
With regards to Wills that ex pats have made and paid for, I, like I would imagine most people would agree, we just want our wishes carried out, and that certainly is not a 'cheek'. If most ex pats are not Turkish citizens and have no need to leave anything to a Turkish family member, I don't feel we are asking for too much for our Wills and wishes to be to be taken notice of. At the end of the day, it is us who have paid for our property, any monies in the banks are our savings and for most of us, we have given to the Turkish economy and not taken from it.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Consular petition.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 20:45:17 PM »
Yes it is a cheek. Foreigners living in the UK have to comply with UK law. So what does every country do write a law to suit every minority living in the country. Whether you are Scottish, Irish or English you are required to comply with the law that is in force in the country you are in. Scottish law has differences to laws in England and Wales but you cannot say in Manchester I am Scottish and I want Scottish law applied. If your property and your money is in that country then you have to comply with the laws of that country. The law is the law you cannot have a Pick and Mix.

Turning up in the Ukraine and getting free healthcare is incorrect. You can only get emergency treatment. This is the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth office that was issued today to Stoke City fans as they play Dynamo Kiev this week. The issue also states that state healthcare is not very good and that anyone travelling should have adequate travel insurance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 22:13:30 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf