Author Topic: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate  (Read 14676 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
I feel sorry for those in receipt of their UK state pension and are wishing to apply for the new 'permanent residence' having been here continuously for 8 years. Part of the conditions for your permanent residence is that you have a health insurance. If you can't afford or even can't get private health insurance then it seems your only option is to leave the country?

I have it on very good authority that the consul are fully aware of the negative effects of enforcing this legislation will have on many UK citizens living in Turkey and we can expect further clarification or feedback following the holiday.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
See the following link to fully understand the level of feelings concerning this latest update :

https://m.facebook.com/ukinturkey

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
I could not read the original post (old age/finger trouble) for anybody else with the same problem see http://www.yellali.com/news/article/38/sgk-latest-updates

Happy new year.

DonM

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

There is one statement that needs clarification that would put a lot of peoples minds at rest.

"The Consulate have pointed out that this does not apply British nationals in this situation who have lived out of the UK for over 6 months."

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »
The preceding paragraph to that statement talked about how Turkey believes that anyone who is retired and on a state pension is entitled to healthcare from their own country and of course the rule is that you can't be part of SGK if covered elsewhere.

I think the statement was from our consulate pointing out that this is not the case for British Nationals once they have been outside of the country for more than 6 months.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
That's the way I read it too Rimms.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
This is the full paragraph with the statement, if you look at the original document it is not quite worded the same (this is from YellAli). I don't see any other way of reading it other than if you have been out of the UK for 6 months or more it does not apply??

"Retired and RECEIVING a UK state pension

For anyone who is in receipt of a UK state pension they are no longer entitled to benefit from healthcare under the scheme.

This rule was written into the 2010 laws on SGK but has only just been enforced. The reasoning behind excluding pensioners from the scheme was based on the ruling that nationals of those countries who have signed a Reciprocal Health Agreement with Turkey automatically benefit from their own country’s health scheme on receipt of a state pension and whilst residing in Turkey.

The Consulate have pointed out that this does not apply British nationals in this situation who have lived out of the UK for over 6 months."

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
My previous answer still applies? Maybe I'm reading it wrong? It's the consulate pointing out that Britons that have been away from the UK for more than six months are not part of any reciprocal agreement.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

George, there is no reciprocal agreement yet. If you have been out of the UK more than 6 months you are not covered by NHS, even if in receipt of state pension.

Offline Marggie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf