Author Topic: Bank Account - Tax Number  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Bank Account - Tax Number
« on: August 05, 2008, 18:38:29 PM »
My brother has asked me if I will place quite a large sum in our Finans Account on his behalf! [:(!]

He calls it a "punt" - as he is just turned 60 and after selling his business a couple of years ago he is quite well off with ample pension provisions and says leaving cash in the UK over the coming years is a "waste of time".

To most people including me it is a sizeable amount.

I have told him I do not want to put it into our account with Finans as details might get back to HMRC in the UK who may think I am loaded!

I have said if you come over when we are at our apartment - take your passport into the bank - use our address in Fethiye if required - then he can get a tax number and thereafter do everything over the internet.

Is that the right advice?????

Offline nig68

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 22:32:39 PM »
Ian, have passed on yur photograph, ISP number and full contact details to my friends at HMRC and you shld hopefully get a car with a blue flashing light visiting you soon.

That was a joke by the way!

I would suggest you maintain your 'distance' re' 'storing' his money, get him to open/ prove/ account etc his 'punt', but I've a good Financial Advisor mate (probably bore you with ISA's; stocks; shares; low risk accounts) and will ask the question on your behalf. Once I get a reply I'll PM you, to distance the forum from any comeback. Supply the following link, but I'm sure you'll have tried it:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
Ian I would have thought your final option was the most sensible. It totally removes your personal risk element and of course the element of trust where large sums are involved. Bear in mind also according to recent points raised on this Forum that you may now require UK utility bills in order to open a Turkish account????  I think there are also restrictions on how much cash you take out of the UK so no suitcases stuffed with readies.:D

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
Nig / Brian - thanks for your replies.

I am reluctant to get too involved as these things often "blow up in your face" - particularly when family are involved.

Cheers - Ian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf