Author Topic: Balcony Blinds  (Read 5940 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Balcony Blinds
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
We're thinking of having some outdoor blinds fitted to our main balcony to help keep out the wind/rain during the winter months, making better use of the balcony as an outdoor space.

Where can we buy these and should they be left down all winter (ie even when we are not there)?

Thanks for any help and advice.    :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: Balcony Blinds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
Do you mean blinds Julie or the plastic awning type of cover that people have on their balconies? My neighbours have like a plastic awning fitted that rolls up during the summer but keeps the rain and winds out when there is bad weather, if it is the awning type I can find out from them for you where they got there's from  :)

Offline quackers

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 13:27:05 PM »
We have plastic awnıng and sıt out all wınter ,one of the best purchases we have made.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 16:46:32 PM »
We have plastic awnıng and sıt out all wınter ,one of the best purchases we have made.
I'd agree totally with what Quackers says here, gives you all year round living in what is probably the best spot in the house.

These are made to measure, by lots of people in Fethiye, and also there is at least one shop selling them in Gulabasi, they also make covers etc.  If you go down the main road on the way to Fethiye they are on the right hand side, they have an example hanging up outside their shop.  Usual advice get a few quotes from different shops/suppliers, based on price and quality (both the plastic and the installation) and of course a few reference sites would help too!!

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 23:22:47 PM »
Yes, I did mean the awning type, rather than blinds!  My mistake   :) .

Quackers, where did you get yours from, and do you leave them down during the winter when you are not at your apartment/villa?

Usedbustickets, again where did you get yours from, and is there anything in particular I should look for before buying?  What are the fixings made from?  Is there any chance of them rusting? 

Yes please, Karen, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help x

Offline quackers

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:17:21 AM »
We leave them down all wınter but we lıve here. Even ın the stongest wınds they stay put cos we have metal poles ın the bottom to keep them down. Ramazan at Edge Branda 0252 612 7830. mob 0535 226 0920. Several neıghbours have used him all are happy.

Offline George Warner

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
Would NOT recommend Yildaz Branda in Gunlukbasi. We have a mechanical wind up roller sort,no zips, fitted by Gungar Branda who are at the end of the main Gunlukbasi road on the right jut before the traffic lights and main Otogar roundabout
One thing to consider there is now a concertina fold back glass window type which seems to be  very popular.I suspect quite expensive though.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
The company that installed ours has since stop trading, I know not why.  The quality issue is key, our brackets fitted to the wall are similar to those that you get on a sailing boat, so will not rust, and are very sturdy, as are the metal eye holes in the plastic, once again same material as used on sailing boats.  The plastic should be of a good thickness, and can I suggest that you avoid the use of colours like yellow or anything light, except white, as the sun will soon fade it.  Finally make sure there are at least three vertical brackets on each side, and two/ three at the bottom, this will keep the plastic nice and taut when down.  Oh yes and make sure the 'bands' that hold up the rolled up are good quality nylon (again sailing standard) with good quality locking clips.

Look and feel yourself, but also get a reference site that you can go out to see.

Good luck with the project, it really will be worth it.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 21:44:00 PM »
Edge Branda is definitely a good choice but not wanting to contradict UBT, we have had cream coloured ones fitted to our villa, wood store and as covering for our garden furniture for 2 summers and 2 winters so far and no sign of fading at all.  8)

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »
Hamlet you are right, I was trying to say avoid using any BRIGHT colour.  Anyway cream is very nearly white which I said was OK  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf