Author Topic: Lira getting Stronger - Why?  (Read 295989 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Lira getting Stronger - Why?
« Reply #510 on: May 25, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »

We are buying at a time when we think it's a good deal. Neither you or I have any idea what the rate will be next June - when we go out again. It just might go the other way - who knows?

Yes I do get it that you thought that 4.5/£ was probably a better deal than you felt you could get next June so you invested now.

I think that is nonsense :D - but I further agree with you that the rate could go up or down, and that nobody knows for sure.

I reckon the rate in June will be better for those with pounds than the 4.5 you got. You think in all probability the exact opposite is likely. Fair enough, different views are good.

I have £30 to a charity of your choice if the rate in June next year is lower than 4.5/£ - I am that confident - are you £30 to charity confident that you got a good deal (i.e. if the rate next June will be higher than 4.5 you pay £30 to a charity of my choice)? :D

Not long now Scunner. 4.31 today. Not sure I'm gonna lose this now but if I do then I'll just buy more

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #511 on: May 25, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
You're probably safe Stoop but you might still jinx it; the lira has lost half a percent since you posted. Of course, if the Telegraph comes up with another opinion poll like the one the other day showing Brexit trailing by 13% then the pound will go soaring and mess up your bet.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #512 on: May 25, 2016, 15:33:59 PM »
Well we got 4.17 today and 4.25 last week.

I'll take whatever happens tbh. A no lose bet as we can always top up if it goes beyond 4.50

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #513 on: May 25, 2016, 15:34:57 PM »
Yes but that poll was fixed

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #514 on: May 26, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
The price of oil was below $30 a barrel in January. It has now gone up to $50. This might be expected to feed through to inflation in Turkey but it has been coming down steadily from 9.58% in January to 6.57% in April. Should that change, it will be instructive to see what the CB will do with interest rates.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #515 on: June 21, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
What a difference a week makes.  The markets certainly think its going to be a Remain vote this week and sterling has taken a bit of a boost as a result.

A week ago you'd get 4.14tl to your quid, today sitting at 4.27tl.

What'll it be on Friday...?

Looking good for your EUR's for September Colwyn   :)  back up to 1.30 against the pound.

JF

Offline Jack13

« Reply #516 on: June 21, 2016, 13:10:41 PM »
4.15 at calis exchange today.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #517 on: June 21, 2016, 13:28:45 PM »
4.26 at Finansbank ten minutes ago.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #518 on: June 21, 2016, 14:24:00 PM »
The markets certainly think its going to be a Remain vote this week and sterling has taken a bit of a boost as a result.
Somebody believes that the majority of voting Brits won't go crackers on Thursday and torpedo the UK economy. I do hope they are right. George Soros predicts the £ will lose 20% of value if the disaster of Brexit happens - and he's the chap that made billions out of Norman Lamont's bumbling incompetence in just a few hours some years ago. I wish I had as much confidence in the outcome as the markets seem to do.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #519 on: June 21, 2016, 14:35:29 PM »
Bookies look like they're following the money markets, odds for a remain vote back to 1/4 or 5 on.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf