Author Topic: Travel insurance with health problems  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Travel insurance with health problems
« on: September 29, 2010, 15:29:24 PM »
Anyone with tips for good companies for travel insurance for people with health problems. Saga have just quoted me £606 for 60 day cover to Turkey. This has made me feel even more unwell.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 15:29:45 PM by Colwyn »

Offline amca

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 18:59:49 PM »
Premium will depend on which and/or how many health problems are being insured.
InsureandGo allow you to buy basic insurance and then you do online screening for whatever medical conditions you wish to declare for cover.
There are others, of course, and I would be surprised if you cannot frind a cheaper deal than Saga.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 19:18:12 PM »
Thanks Amca.
One thing that worries me about "careful" disclosure of medical issues is that unscrupulous insurance companies (are there others?) would disqualify claims if they discovered any pre-existing medical condition even if it had nothing to do with the travel problem. After all, the whole point about taking out medical cover is to protect from exceptional but expensive treatment. A few hundred pounds, even a few thousand, I could cover (with difficulty) - £100,000 hospital fees, no way. So I am not just looking for price but also certainty of pay-out. Nevertheless, I think you are right.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 19:23:35 PM »
I've used and recommended American Express they were very good.   Not expensive and happy to cover pre-existing.  Often they will refuse to cover everyday medication - such as insulin if you are diabetic and should be travelling with enough but would cover any other diabetes related illnesss.  I had an annual policy with business travel and my pre-existing conditions for £68 last year.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 23:18:35 PM »
Colwyn, I think you will find that you can disclose a pre existing condition and exclude it from cover.
We are with Atlas who ofset pre existing with AXA as a seperate policy. This year they wanted an extra £58 to cover my wifes asthma. When I complained they said that we can elect not to cover asthma related illnesses if we wished. Needless to say we paid the extra. I bet they could blame asthma on a broken ankle if it meant they could avoid paying out.

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
Colwyn, we have an annual travel policy with Nationwide (2 adults) and both have medical conditions which we've declared. (mine is asthma too).  Top of my head I can't remember how much it was this year, but think in the region of £120/130, and that's for a year!  It was nowhere near £606!  You'll need to do it over the phone to declare your conditions, it can't be done online.

However, it will I think make a difference if you are actually going away for the whole 60 days and also what conditions you have.

May be worth a ring though to find out.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Others have suggested M&S and Age Concern/Help the Aged so I have a good list of companies to investigate.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 21:19:12 PM »
Hi Colwyn, I received some information today from O2 about their travel insurance (reducing their call costs for when I am abroad would certainly help with my high blood pressure) and they apparently have a walkthrough where you can divulge your known health issues during the quote process, answer a number of questions and at the end you are given a quote for an extra premium. You can add the extra premium to the "general" cost of insurance already quoted earlier, or choose to not pay for it and select to be covered for all health & injuries other than (the one that is most likely to kill you) the one for which the extra premium is required.

I had a quick play and extra premiums came out as (in my opinion) fairly reasonable - certainly £606 for 60 days seems pretty unlikely. Worth a try I would think.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 21:25:53 PM »

Offline King Frat

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 21:06:16 PM »
We have the Annual Gold policy Worldwide Cover with Insure And Go.  Family of 4 - me with medical conditions declared - £263.60

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf