Author Topic: Wild Horses - which one?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by peter16

how can it not be the stones. It's a blues/ rockblues number not a scottish lament(although her version is pretty good, it just proves how good the actual song is)

Are there Music Police around saying just how a song should be sung? Just because it was originally sung by one artist/group does not mean another, and perhaps better version cannot be produced.
I seem to remember people saying no one could sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" like
Judy Garland. Then the version by the late Eva Cassidy came out out, sung in a completely
different way, but it was still just as good.
There is room in the music world for people to interpret a song in their own way and make it fresh and different.  
Incidentally, I take it you have never really heard a true Scottish Lament?

Offline Old Daffodil

Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
I read that Mick Jagger likes Susan singing the song. I like both versions,Charlie Watts and Keith Richards are such good musicians.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:43:33 AM by Daffodil »

Offline valleyboy

Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
Susan does a very pleasant cover of this classic, but I must agree with the majority, the Stones every time for me.

Offline peter16

Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 23:39:00 PM »
To Jacqui Harvey,incidentally I probably have heard in my time and travels several Laments. :o :) Haven't learnt how to do quotes as yet though.
i.e.  "Flowers of the Forest" (Jean Elliot's version) also called just "The Lament" performed by pipers throughout the world on Remembrance Sunday.
"Sleep Dearie Sleep" played at JFK's funeral I believe.
"Macpherson's Lament" quite traditional I think, something about waiting for the hangman.
"Highland Cathedral" is/was popular along the West Coast of Scotland and on the Inner Isles.
My favourite is possibly "Portvogie" although this is fairly modern (1967)the composer was Drum Major Robert Bruce of the Gordon Highlanders, so with a name like that etc. it is worth giving it a hearing.
Some even suggest"Amazing Grace" on pipes could be classed a Lament but I haven't made up my mind about that as yet. What do you think?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 23:47:10 PM »
quote:

To Jacqui Harvey,incidentally I probably have heard in my time and travels several Laments. :o :) Haven't learnt how to do quotes as yet though.

I find the inability to use quotes correctly quite lamentable, does that count?

Offline peter16

Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 00:10:53 AM »
"Ouch" okay it's now going to the top of the e-mail to-do list. :-\ :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 00:18:13 AM »
:D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »
quote:

i.e.  "Flowers of the Forest" (Jean Elliot's version) also called just "The Lament" performed by pipers throughout the world on Remembrance Sunday.
"Sleep Dearie Sleep" played at JFK's funeral I believe.
"Macpherson's Lament" quite traditional I think, something about waiting for the hangman.
"Highland Cathedral" is/was popular along the West Coast of Scotland and on the Inner Isles.
My favourite is possibly "Portvogie" although this is fairly modern (1967)the composer was Drum Major Robert Bruce of the Gordon Highlanders, so with a name like that etc. it is worth giving it a hearing.
Some even suggest"Amazing Grace" on pipes could be classed a Lament but I haven't made up my mind about that as yet. What do you think?

Thanks for the lesson on Scottish laments (including the N.Irish one - Portavogie).
I could quote a string of them too having lived in Scotland for a very long time, but I don't want to bore other members.
However, message to Scunner "Can I go to the top of the class and give out the pencils please?"  I know how to do quotes.
Jacqui: :):P

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 23:04:54 PM »
Jacqui, heard the Susan version for the first time today , and its a cracker, but still sway towards the stones.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Wild Horses - which one?
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 23:25:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

I seem to remember people saying no one could sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" like
Judy Garland. Then the version by the late Eva Cassidy came out out, sung in a completely different way, but it was still just as good.

I agree Jacqui, the Eva Cassidy version makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I'v said before how special a version it will be for me one day.:D:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf