Author Topic: fantastic midweek break  (Read 1905 times)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
fantastic midweek break
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 14:41:34 PM »
My husband went out with a german girl who stayed near a concentration camp.  They visited it together and she was quite  shocked at what took place there.   it is not part of learning in German schools.
I have recently spoke to a lady who was a nurse in Belston at the end of the war and she still has nightmares about what happened there.
Thanks for the info Kanga it is something I would like to do some day.  The salt mine I believe is well worth a visit.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

fantastic midweek break
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 14:56:08 PM »
I think going to these places is a way of showing that they may be gone but they are not forgotten. I visited the Normandy beaches and the British war graves at Caen.I cried reading the names on the headstones and worst of all the ages. Most of the dead were little more than boys aged between 18 and 24. These young lads have made the biggest sacrifice for their country and it must be never forgotten.

Offline scorcher

fantastic midweek break
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 16:54:40 PM »
.... and they continue to do so.

Offline dreamon

fantastic midweek break
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 18:05:38 PM »
As part of a tour of Thailand, We reluctantly visited Kanchanaburi to see the Bridge over the River Kwai.  Had mixed feelings about going, didn't think a war grave cemetery should be part of the tourist trail but have to say the war graves sere absolutly imaculate and there was a free to enter museum that told the whole story as it happened and how the POWs were treated.   I certainly learnt a lot and when you see the amount of earth they had to move manually literally cutting through mountains it brings it all home to you just what they went through.   Didn't agree with actually riding on the "death train" as they call it but I suppose if it teaches the next generation the true story of what happened does the end justify the means?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
fantastic midweek break
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 22:49:07 PM »
Kanga

I have just rebought a book (lent the first one and never got it back) you may be interested in.

Its about three young Jews who together organised the first underground resistant movement during the 2nd World War.

Author Rich Cohen - Title - The Avengers A Jewish War Story

It has taken me years to track this book down. It made a real impression on me. I bought it through a seller on Amazon.

Another brilliant book is by Marge Piercy - Title - Gone to Soldiers. Its a novel too, very well researched and very readable.

I learned more about the 2nd WW from this book than I ever did at school. I have re read several times and each time I learn something new.

Offline ukchris

fantastic midweek break
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 17:15:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by geordieboy

I popped over to Berlin last week,laid a wreath where uncle Adolph had his bunker

I think you are getting confused with the spelling of rudolph

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
fantastic midweek break
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 17:37:16 PM »
That would be the red nosed reindeer (ph) rather than the Nazi Deputy leader (f)

Offline ukchris

fantastic midweek break
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 19:38:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

That would be the red nosed reindeer (ph) rather than the Nazi Deputy leader (f)

yeah prancer & dancers mate  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf