Author Topic: Buying Foreign Currency  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 21:44:53 PM »
The gold folk?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 22:16:36 PM »
Well top marks to Toky, as the "Cheque Centre" did indeed have the best rate. Sadly I got so very close to using them but alas not. When I went in there were 2 people being served at 2 counters and one person waiting. One guy wanted 400 Euros but on his bank card which was empty so was looking for an advance/post dated lump of cash and also to have it in Euros.

After about 10 minutes the guy at the other window had signed 59 seperate forms and was given some cash. He was replaced by the girl waiting before me - she also seemed to want money using her bank card and there were several forms for that. Over and above that she appeared to know the girl serving so we got to hear about the health of every member of her family.

Another 10 minutes passed and it was my turn. I explained that my requirement was very straightforward, I didn't want any free cash or cheques cashed, I wanted some Euros. I put my sterlings under the window and was told that they could "only do it in 10s". This was surprising as my money was in her hand, the guy beside me didn't have any money and a big pile of 50s awaited him once he completed his forms. I said 10s would have to do. The girl opened her money drawer, only to find there we no euros at all in it. The other girl had "transferred" all the euros across to her money drawer. I was informed that the girl serving me would have to transfer it back by making a request on the computer.

I looked across at the pile of euros and looked back at her. "Oh, it's not just a case of picking them up and putting them in my drawer you know, I have to do it via the computer first". 5 minutes more passed with tuts and comments about how the computers were so slow today. "See the problem is, I can't give you the money until the computer shows that it is in my drawer to give". Given that it took me 20 minutes to actually get served, then all this, I felt I had no option other than to say "Look darling, I've been here nearly half an hour, I don't want money I haven't actually got, I wanted to give you pounds and you give me back Euros. Please, give me my money back". After apologies and a couple of "are you sure?"'s, I got my money back and walked out like the moodiest man in Britain.

I went to M&S, the exchange rate was lower, but so was my heart rate - in and out in 5 minutes and that was with someone being served before me.

:D  

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 22:47:59 PM »
Silly question but.........could you not have been served by the girl with money in her drawer

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 23:00:10 PM »
No, she was still serving the man she was serving when I walked in half an hour earlier, Mr Euros himself.

Offline cheers

Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 23:12:09 PM »
Got a good rate on the US dollar from The Co-Op, better than the Post Office today just walked straight up, no queue, no hassle, no waiting would have been in and out just counted the money/dollars and that was that!

Sorry Scunner I knew the girl in there and we were chatting families/Vegas etc. in my defence I did not hold anyone else up!!!

Ha if it would have beeen my hubby he would have waited a few minutes when all the hold ups were going on he would have just walked out.  Isn't that why you set up this forum so that you could learn PATIENCE??

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 23:30:25 PM »
I spent 5 years being patient and understanding as I was in Turkey as a guest and went with the flow (or lack of flow). In fact, many amusing stories came from misunderstandings and long waits.

Now I am back in the UK I admit I have little patience for incompetence, especially from people who speak the same language as me :-\ Earlier today (as in before the money changing) I waited next in line for the ATM behind a woman who actually seemed to know how to use an ATM. Imagine my delight when, after putting her card in quite swiftly, remembering her PIN without having to search through her handbag for her diary, then search her diary - she must have requested a statement, because a huge sheet of paper came out of the machine, followed by her card.

She took her card, and fully in the knowledge that I (and others) were queued behind her, continued to stand in exactly the same place in front of the ATM, reading the statement.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 00:20:58 AM »
You need a holiday 8)  Are you going anywhere nice?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 00:24:21 AM »
Yes

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 02:22:39 AM »
good 8)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Buying Foreign Currency
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 06:09:23 AM »
Hope you got out plenty fo Euros Keith. We were gobsmacked at the cost of stuff in France due to the exchange rate. Ok there was a small skiing accident to pay for, but we haven't been to France for 2 years and OMG we were unpleasantly surprised.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf