Author Topic: University places  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
University places
« on: August 18, 2010, 17:38:35 PM »
Best wishes to all of you with kids who are waiting for A level results tomorrow and confirmation of University places - it's a tough year this year with regards to Uni places, and uni's have been working round the clock to get decisions on the system. So here's hoping they get the right grades to get a place.[:X]

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
University places
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 18:22:33 PM »
Am sure there are many youngsters who will benefit from all your hard work GB, but I cannot help but think that we send too many of your young people to university these days.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
University places
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 18:32:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Am sure there are many youngsters who will benefit from all your hard work GB, but I cannot help but think that we send too many of your young people to university these days.

....and that is exactly the issue, combined with the economic crisis which has forced kids into uni places who may have gone out to work and the government fining uni's that go over the numbers, we are being very tight with offers, no dropping of points in many cases.:(

Offline maximumtom

University places
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 19:45:06 PM »
I think that this idea that everyone should get a degree does a dis-service to honest normal people. I lament the passing of apprenticeships. My friend recently needed a quote for a painting and decorating job in her house - she could only find one firm willing to give her a quote. Despite the apparent job shortage, there seems to be plenty of scope in the painting market in her area. One thing I find completely objectionable is that you have to find a 'professional' person to sign your passport application etc. Why ? Aren't plumbers and electricians etc. honest ?

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
University places
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 20:28:04 PM »
I think things will change under the new government, they have a more elitist view to University places. Neither of my kids have gone to University, my daughter would be very capable of going and doing very well but she has a job which shows some scope for promotion and on the job training, but my husband and I are definiteoy the social outcasts as we are the only ones out of our group of friends whose kids aren't at uni, I think they think we are wonderfully old fashioned

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
University places
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 20:35:54 PM »
Nought wrong with "wonderfully old fashioned" GB - I'd take that as a massive compliment.

Offline maximumtom

University places
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 21:17:48 PM »
Quite right H. I still get up when a lady enters the room, despite the popping of the knees  :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
University places
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 13:53:07 PM »
It has just been announced on BBC News that 'A' level passes are up with 80% of entries achieving the new 'A' grade , maybe it has something to do with the exams being easier, as suggested by some Academicians? Unfortunately, at the same time, there are 20,000 less Uni places available, according to the same News broadcast.
Gordy.

Offline BM06

University places
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 14:06:04 PM »
You may have added an O% Gordy see me after school:Dhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11012369 ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
University places
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 14:10:14 PM »
Not 80% Gordon; actually 8%. (Tries hard but needs to concentrate more).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf