Author Topic: New State Pension Age  (Read 1723 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New State Pension Age
« on: October 20, 2010, 16:42:16 PM »
All Britons under the age of 57 on 6 April this year will have to wait until they're 66 before they get their pension.

Bummer!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New State Pension Age
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 16:45:12 PM »
Actually for me it might not be a problem as I am already receiving the equivalent of my state pension through my ill health company pension. This reduces when I start to receive my state pension..... but will the company scheme stand for this extra year?

Confused a little but I'm sure they will let me know at some point.

It does affect my good lady though and many of our friends.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 16:45:58 PM by stoop »

Offline Eric

New State Pension Age
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 17:23:49 PM »

This affects Fi and I....good job we were not relying on this for our old age. It means Fi's retirement age has changed twice and now she has to wait 11 years for her pension!!!!!
The way things are going, ie. looking at upping the retirement age to 70 and beyond, I will never get my pension!
So....can I have a refund now on what I have paid into it?  I think I know what the answer to that will be!

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
New State Pension Age
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 17:28:11 PM »
well with the UK default retirement age being lifted, we can all look forward to working much longer so that the government dont have to pay us any pension at all........

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New State Pension Age
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 17:34:46 PM »
Funny - as an adviser I was telling people about this years ago. It was obvious that the life expectancy was rising and there was going to be less people to pay NI contributions. Some took out pensions or avc's and some took out long term savings plans. I just hope they perform for them.

Offline Diverbaz 1

New State Pension Age
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 17:35:57 PM »

Good news for me, nothing changes, except maybe a bigger pension, sometimes it's good to be old:D

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
New State Pension Age
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »
and the french go on strike on a rise from 60 to 62, I think the Greeks retire early as well.private pensions and Avc's etc preform well for the sales men and the companies who sold them. they / you lock you money away for years with promises of a return only to find that the promormance ain't there and the annuity rate has fallen, then you die and your poor wife or husband  only gets half the money, who has trousered the other half?

Offline rpg9000

New State Pension Age
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
quote:
private pensions and Avc's etc preform well for the sales men and the companies who sold them. they / you lock you money away for years with promises of a return only to find that the promormance ain't there and the annuity rate has fallen, then you die and your poor wife or husband only gets half the money, who has trousered the other half?

So take that, stoop!

Couldn't agree more c1. Every year I get my latest pension forecast, and it's now a fraction of what it was three years ago, and yet they're still assuming 7% growth? Go figure - I certainly can't.

As with a lot of "Financial Services", the advisors and providers are in a win-win situation - their commissions and profits are taken out before the poor punter just gets to pick up any crumbs that are left over.

If I could, I'd take the whole lot out now and take my chances with the Turkish interest rates - at least if it all went belly-up, I've not supported "the city".

Offline milorni

New State Pension Age
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
What makes me cross is that on my pension forecast, it shows that I have now contributed enough Ni etc to qualify for my state pension. I am 47 so theoretically will now be contributing afor another 19 years before I can claim anything back.Humph!Who's getting my 19 years worth of contributions? Not me!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New State Pension Age
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rpg9000

quote:
private pensions and Avc's etc preform well for the sales men and the companies who sold them. they / you lock you money away for years with promises of a return only to find that the promormance ain't there and the annuity rate has fallen, then you die and your poor wife or husband only gets half the money, who has trousered the other half?

So take that, stoop!

Couldn't agree more c1. Every year I get my latest pension forecast, and it's now a fraction of what it was three years ago, and yet they're still assuming 7% growth? Go figure - I certainly can't.

As with a lot of "Financial Services", the advisors and providers are in a win-win situation - their commissions and profits are taken out before the poor punter just gets to pick up any crumbs that are left over.

If I could, I'd take the whole lot out now and take my chances with the Turkish interest rates - at least if it all went belly-up, I've not supported "the city".

Fair points but you can't blame the insurance companies for the poor performance of the stock market and low interest rates can you?

I agree that some have performed awfully because they did not have enough assets to ride out the big falls in share prices that we have seen on numerous occasions over the last 15 years. The strong ones did and actually invested in more shares when the prices were lower.

As for the assumption of 7% growth - these are figures provided by the FSA and are not assumptions but a guide to what you might get back if they achieve this rate until you retire. The most likely reason why it is less than 3 years ago is due to the final bonuses being reduced due to poor performance in the stock market/property or whatever they invest your money into.

Personally, in today's climate, I would only invest in a pension or avc if I was a high rate tax payer or a none tax payer (you still get the tax relief).

As for being charged up front - years ago that was the case (and surprisingly they are the plans that have paid out the most due to the excellent returns they achieved in high inflation years) but now most good companies charge about 1% annual management charge (taken off each payment) and most good companies have their staff on basic salary plus bonuses if they hit their targets.

We are all in the same boat - wherever you invest today there is no way you will get the returns you could have got 10 or 15 years ago - and Turkey is a prime example - interest rates down from 17% to 9% in the last year or so.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf