Author Topic: What would one say to them?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
What would one say to them?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 01:19:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lisax

Cor blimey I only asked a genuine nice question!!

To be honest, I thought it was a stupid question:-\

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
.. be careful Gordon. This 'democracy' you live in reads every email and post you put on the internet.

OFF WITH THE CLOWN'S HEAD I SAY!!

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 13:03:10 PM »
I have no time for the royal family, my family are important to me and should be protected but this does not cost 'us' the tax payer, if anything happens to my family they are irreplaceable unlike the royals where the line of succession proceeds, followed by more 'royal cows' to ensure the linage.

Yes Stoop this is a democracy, we can voice our opinions, unlike many other countries, Turkey being a prime example, whilst living there we had to watch our 'p's & Q's' we could not access certain programmes on the internet because of the silent dictatorship.

I am happy to be British, yet could survive without a royal family, the tourist would still come to the UK because of the history, how many tourist have seen the queen or her generic hangers on? the changing of the guard at 'Buck' Palace continues regardless who is 'at home', parliament, history and buildings up and down the country are there for the many many tourist who wish to visit.

As what would one say to them?  "Beggar off and get a proper job with a  P45 or use your own personal wealth to continue your support, and if you can't afford an extra body guard this month do some overtime!"
[:(!]

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 13:38:35 PM »
Maybe they should just ask for all their land back and live off the income it generates. I'm sure they would more than willing to pay all their own costs if that were to happen.

As for the tourist argument I have to disagree. I believe they do generate much more interest than just the historic buildings and history of the country. I remember being in Fiji a few years back and we were astonished how much the locals thought of our Queen. Flying to England was top of the list for many of them - if they ever got the chance. 'To see The Queen'.

I'd rather pay the Royals than the freeloaders who sit on their backsides for all their life, never get a job and live off state handouts. At least the Royals get out there and promote the UK - as well as all the charity work that they do as well.

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 14:40:30 PM »
Stoop I owe you a beer, Well said.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 15:15:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop
I'd rather pay the Royals than the freeloaders

I thought they were the same. And how come a German family ended up owning great chunks of Britain? I thought the Normans were the thieves conquerers; turns out it was the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas.

Offline peecee

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 15:41:31 PM »
Would totally disagree with you, Loz.  The Royal Family are our history.  Would we have had a Cromwell if no Royal?.
The changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace wouldn't continue if there wasn't a family.  There wouldn't be a palace (unless you stuck a Bishop in) and no-one to protect!  I suppose Cameron could move in[:(!]
I would agree get rid of the hangers-on but that is the same as saying get rid of second cousin Berties' aunt.  Part of the family for good or bad.
From what I've read the family are digging into their own pockets for the wedding.  The revenue generated (crappy mugs etc!) will benefit the Country and tourists will come.
I wish them both the best of luck and hope it is a lavish wedding.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 15:42:58 PM by peecee »

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 16:08:05 PM »
"Maybe they should just ask for all their land back"

Shouldn't that read
Maybe we should just ask for our land back.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 16:32:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

.. be careful Gordon. This 'democracy' you live in reads every email and post you put on the internet.

OFF WITH THE CLOWN'S HEAD I SAY!!

Ah, may be true, but at least I do have the right of freedom of speech where I am! A true democratic right, won by free men for free men!

We have had the benefit of this and many other human rights for quite some considerable time, despite news reports that would seem to state otherwise. Our law has not been decided in a rush and made by those living a privileged lifestyle. It has been built by the decisions made in Courts, with juries of our peers and the Court has always been a place of equality and fairness.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 16:52:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

Would totally disagree with you, Loz.  The Royal Family are our history.  Would we have had a Cromwell if no Royal?.
The changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace wouldn't continue if there wasn't a family.  There wouldn't be a palace (unless you stuck a Bishop in) and no-one to protect!  

Cromwell, a great & very clever man, possibly the only person in our history who really had no alterior motive & a great, genuine love for his fellow man. Just a great pity thay he did not accept the crown in 1657, who knows, maybe our country would have continued to have British Royals, rather than German?
Buck House, now what a fantastic "Hostel for The Homeless" that could make!  ;)
Gordy.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 16:55:13 PM by GordonA »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf