Author Topic: What would one say to them?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
What would one say to them?
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 18:11:27 PM »
spelling maybe out but message is clear, and I thought that Wallace was betrayed by a Scot as well "The Bruce" oh how the scots do so love a hero.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 19:02:50 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mike A

quote:
Originally posted by stoop

So come on Mike. Explain why you see it as our land? Does that mean I own your land and property as well as my own? Sounds like comunism to me.

That comment would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
learn british  history and the answer will be self explanatory

I think this might explain it for you Mike:

Although the ownership of some property can be traced back to Edward the Confessor, the estate as a whole essentially dates from 1066. After the Norman Conquest, all the land belonged to William "in right of The Crown" because he was King. Despite centuries of change in law and custom, the underlying ownership of The Crown still exists and there is always a presumption in favour of The Crown unless it can be proved that the land belongs to someone else.

The Sovereign's estates had always been used to raise revenue, and over time large areas were granted to nobles. The estate fluctuated in size and value but by 1760, when George III acceded to the throne, the asset had been reduced to a small area producing little income - revenue which George III needed to fulfil the Sovereign's fiscal responsibilities to the nation.

By that time taxes had become the prime source of revenue for the United Kingdom and Parliament administered the country, so an agreement was reached that the Crown Lands would be managed on behalf of the Government and the surplus revenue would go to the Treasury. In return the King would receive a fixed annual payment - today known as the Civil List. This agreement has, at the beginning of each reign, been repeated by every succeeding Sovereign.

In 1955 a Government Committee under the Chairmanship of Sir Malcolm Trustram Eve recommended that to avoid confusion between Government property and Crown land, the latter should be renamed The Crown Estate and should be managed by an independent board. These recommendations were implemented by the Crown Estate Acts of 1956 and 1961.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 22:36:08 PM »
"I think this might explain it for you Mike:

After the Norman Conquest, all the land belonged to William "in right of The Crown" because he was King"

certainly does stoop.
What beats me is why you cant see it.
 8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 22:51:24 PM by mike A »

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 15:13:16 PM »
Och, c1, you are getting your History mixed up wi' Hollywood hype. In the film "Braveheart we, or rather,you, are led to believe that Wallace was betrayed by Bruce, in fact, history asserts that he WAS indeed betrayed by one Jack Short, manservant of Sir James Menteith, Earl of Mar, & "taken" by Mar, just outside Glasgow, whilst asleep, & delivered to London,for a price & the promise of more lands & authority.
 There is no historical evidence to prove that Bruce & Wallace ever actually met as allies, as Bruce had, like many noblemen in those turbulent times, a penchant for changing sides as & when he thought it worthwhile, both financially, & as an advancement toward his own rule. Bruce actually claimed to be of Norman descent when things got a bit "dodgy" for him, indeed his given birth name was Robert de Bruys, traced to his Paternal Scoto-Norman ancestors.   ;)
Gordy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 15:16:49 PM by GordonA »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf