Author Topic: Ba Ba Pink Sheep...P.C. Gone Mad  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Ba Ba Pink Sheep...P.C. Gone Mad
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 13:48:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

yes, my daughter (17)was taught the pc version.

Last week I was having a conversation with her and her friend about seeing a Golly on ebay and the fact that it bought back childhood memories of my beautiful golly with stripy trousers.  Both of them looked at me blankly - neither of them knew what a golly was.  How sad is that ?!  i remember fighting over who could cut the lables off the robinson jam the quickest in order to send off for the latest golly collectible (I still have the badges some where).  So sad.

There are often old Gollies at Antique Fairs and Shops. I have had a few myself through house clearances, and they always sell very quickly. However, they are making a comeback I have seen them in local shops and there is a Scottish website that sells them
http://www.gollydollies.co.uk/?gclid=CODo7qen36UCFQ4f4QodhmC40Q
 ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 19:19:50 PM »
I am not convinced that this story has anything to do with PC - for good or bad. There seems to be a book for little ones as a teaching aid that helps them learn by teaching them first the rhyme Baa Baa  Black Sheep and then the new rhyme Baa Baa Pink Sheep which follows the same rhythmical pattern as the original. It seems be an aid to learn about rhymings and rhythyms and nothing about oversensitivity to perceived potential racism. The sheep turns pink because its skin is exposed after it has been sheared of all its black wool - and in the picture it looks a bit cold.

Not so much fun a story as for all those "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" folks to get offended about - sorry about that.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 19:30:58 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 19:38:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

The banning of Christmas in favour of "Winter festivals" is quite ridiculous, but I must say I think you do have to accept that things have moved on - golliwogs on marmalade jars and in Noddy books are probably best left in the past in my view.

But Scunner, surely it is only offensive if that is your intention.  How many youngsters these days would be aware of the suggested relationship?  it is just a doll made of black material with wool for hair - could I not also be offended by a Russian doll with its rosy cheeks and robust/rotund shape and many smaller dolls inside - that could be seen as suggesting white people are fat and have loads of kids!  
(A bit of a stretch but you know what I mean..)
I have some very dear friends who are of different nationalities and the nature of our banter and relationship means we call each other names that could have us arrested - but if the person it is directed at is not offended then they don't need some p.c. clown telling them they should be.
If I (and many like me) don't associate a Golliwog with anything other than a jam jar then why should it be hidden away/forgotten?  
It could indeed conjure up memories of a dark past that is definitely not something to be proud of but then so could many other things like chains, braided hair and dare I say it....slave bangles.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 19:54:13 PM »
Sorry Colwyn, my friend's sister has been told that the word Black is not allowed in the nursery, in fact, they are not allowed to say Blackboard anymore, it has to be Chalkboard.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 20:05:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

Sorry Colwyn, my friend's sister has been told that the word Black is not allowed in the nursery, in fact, they are not allowed to say Blackboard anymore, it has to be Chalkboard.

I'd like to see that written in down in white and white.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 20:07:26 PM »
What is the name of the nursery?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 20:48:24 PM »
Will ask my nail girl next time she comes up.. Must be in Peterhead as that's where her sister lives.
The other place where my daughter's friend lives is in Luton.

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
how ridiculous!! next my hometown will be renamed to Murkypool!!  :o

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 15:26:30 PM »
Just read one of my granddaughter's books and Snow "White" is still in there - so how come that's OK then?

Beauty and the Beast is now "Belle" and the Beast - is that in case all the "not very pretty" people get offended ?????

Offline Harmless

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 18:45:16 PM »
In my friend's daughters school, they have baa baa rainbow sheep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf