Author Topic: Mega Dairy Farm - Nocton Lincolnshire  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Mega Dairy Farm - Nocton Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 23:09:11 PM »
As people who kept healthy happy chickens that laid lovely eggs.   We decided to answer an advert in the local paper  to buy ex-battery hens.   I will never forget that day.   We went to this place and the guy opened a huge barn door and the smell that hit us was overpowering.  Then when are eyes became accustom to the dim light we saw  hundreds of birds packed in dirty tiny cages .  The guy gave us the first six and we put them in boxes and left.   We were both very quiet coming home.
When we got back we looked at these poor birds some with toes missing all with hardly any feathers  pale and sickly looking.  We put them in the hen house with the other birds and they just sat on the floor, they did not know how to move around or how to fly up and perch.   They stayed in this traumatised state for about a week and then gradually they started to move around and go outside, the hen house where they were no fences they had an three acre field and beyond.   After a few months they were integrated with the rest of the chickens, they put on weight grew feathers and started to enjoy pecking around.  They laid lovely eggs that tasted far better than any battery egg ever would, and they really liked the company of Murphy our rampant cockerel.
I like to think in our small way we gave them a happy retirement.
The memory of the Battery Farm will always stay with me, and I will never ever buy battery eggs.  I don't think any animal should be subjected to being kept in these unnatural conditions.
Some people can be flipant about the way animals are kept but when you see it up close it's life changing.
We all have choices in life, we don't have to accept animal cruelty because we think it's inevitable.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 00:03:34 AM »
Jacqui, I remember seeing a tv documentary years back on battery farming and from that day to this I've bought free range eggs. Not a big deal but my own little bit that makes me feel better.
I'm no activist but all life is precious and the thought of hundreds of cows couped up in barns for our table makes me ill.
Captain John, hopefully I'll bump into you on one of my visits to Calis.  I'd like to see for myself if you talk as much rubbish as you write!

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
Wonder no more...the answer is YES he does. Met him just once when he was sitting alone in a crowded cafe so I asked if he would like to join our table of about ten people mixed race and ages. He politely declined informing me he was a resident here and was happy with his own company.Fair enough comment but then he went on to tell me about the forum and how it was only used for Scunner to boost his own ego and also that Scunner was the most hated person in Calis and had absolutely no friends whatsoever.How deluded was that !!!!Sad sad man. Luckily never met him again.

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
Woops forgot to answer to the original subject. I too visited a chicken "farm" as my husband at the time was interesed in buying it. To say it was horrific is putting it mildly as they were living in such terrible conditions unable to move and a moving conveyer belt system providing the food.Needless to say we didnt purchase the farm and I try to buy free range eggs whenever possible. The thought that cattle can be kept in enclosed pens permanently is appalling and as regards to progress.....we really dont have to eat meat in order to stay healthy

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:47:55 AM »
Keith there must be easier ways to get your ego boosted than running a forum full of devotees and long term friends.
Whats wrong with you?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by hubblebubbles

then he went on to tell me about the forum and how it was only used for Scunner to boost his own ego and also that Scunner was the most hated person in Calis and had absolutely no friends whatsoever.

I always marvel at the very fact that during my 5 years in Calis that the number one topic of conversation in town was...me, and now two years since we left the number one topic of conversation in a wee town 2000 miles from here is...me! One of my friends from Fethiye has remained unknown and unrecognisable to nearly every CBF member and loves to message me whenever he is sitting anonymously in a bar listening to a group slagging me off. In nearly all cases it is people who I have never even met!

My ego is the favoured topic of conversation for dozens of expats like captainjon, always has been and always will be. As for having no friends, John was always super friendly when I met him, especially when he brought his laptop to me to be fixed for free. Back stabber extrordinaire. He is a completely perfect example of an expat knobhead, glad I left.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kayakebab

Keith there must be easier ways to get your ego boosted than running a forum full of devotees and long term friends.
Whats wrong with you?

I'm an idiot.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by hubblebubbles

Wonder no more...the answer is YES he does. Met him just once when he was sitting alone in a crowded cafe so I asked if he would like to join our table of about ten people mixed race and ages. He politely declined informing me he was a resident here and was happy with his own company.Fair enough comment but then he went on to tell me about the forum and how it was only used for Scunner to boost his own ego and also that Scunner was the most hated person in Calis and had absolutely no friends whatsoever.How deluded was that !!!!Sad sad man. Luckily never met him again.

Come on, give the poor guy a break, he is very loyal to one particular restaurant, in fact, I am sure he joined the Forum especially to praise the place at every opportunity: :)... Hope they are buying meat from the large battery farms he approves of ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »
Maybe people should "give him a break". Maybe members on here shouldn't slag him off. Maybe if he stopped slagging everyone and everything off that could kick start the process. Unlikely though.

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 13:50:27 PM »
I truly wasn't slagging him off as don't know him well enough to do that but was repeating a genuine conversation to prove the man really does talk a load of twaddle but hey....keeps him happy.Bet you need more than all your fingers and toes to count all your many friends Keith.Wonder how many he can count ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf