Author Topic: How to get rid of a Heron?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Eric

How to get rid of a Heron?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
12 bore loaded and cocked linked to a motion sensor should do the trick!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks Tribalelder, will have a look at that, we have thought of getting a fake heron, but the scarecrow I put out with a coat on it flapped about in the wind and the heron just sat looking at it!!
Eric, I was speaking to the local Gamekeeper who was going to be shooting wood pigeon in the next field, and asked him if he ever shot heron, he told me it was strictly against the law, they are protected... Pity my fish are not protected too!![:(!]:(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:45:15 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 14:09:36 PM »
I have the same problem and i dont know what the answer is but rest assured the plastic herons dont work,i have two and only last week i re-stocked my pond with 24 new fish and now i only have three fish left.So now ive given up buying anymore fish but may invest in an air gun,solution solved but dont get caught.Last year i moved my pond to a more secluded part of the garden but still the herons soom in they must have great eye sight.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 14:18:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by micky mouse

I have the same problem and i dont know what the answer is but rest assured the plastic herons dont work,i have two and only last week i re-stocked my pond with 24 new fish and now i only have three fish left.So now ive given up buying anymore fish but may invest in an air gun,solution solved but dont get caught.Last year i moved my pond to a more secluded part of the garden but still the herons soom in they must have great eye sight.

I was looking at the site that Tribalelder put on the thread and they have reflective triangles that float in the water and are supposed to scare the heron off, have you tried them?  Glad you told me about the plastic ones, I was just on my way out to get one after chasing the Heron off my pond once more. Think we will try the water shooter and the triangles.   My Brother-in-law has fishing wire thread from the trees above his pond, and that seems to work, but we have such a large space and high winds we would not be able to do that.  
Be careful with the airgun or we could be writing to you from your cell  ;)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 14:23:04 PM »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 14:25:28 PM »

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 16:09:14 PM »
A friend of ours regularly has his fish eaten by seagulls. They also ate the little frogs in my mother's garden and the ducklings in the pond beside our house!
Nothing to do with herons I know!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 18:06:15 PM »
The electric one sounds good Tinxs but it costs £90.00 and has be wired in, which is a pain, also there are very high winds around our garden as we are on a hill, so I think it would probably blow over.   Will tell the old man tonight and see what he says.  Much as I dislike this Heron, I don't want to shoot it.  I just want it to move to a loch somewhere.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
I solved my heron problem by using a piece of thick bamboo, swivel,d in the center that is linked to a small pump, when it fills with water it overturns and hits a stone with a loud crack.
a Japanese water feature thats works a treat to scare Herons, didn't stop the kingfishers though.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 16:32:04 PM »
Feed the fish with a strong poison, then when the birdy gobbles up the ickle fishes, Bingo, curried heron!! :P:P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf