Author Topic: Washing up - Plug or no plug?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline posleeds

Washing up - Plug or no plug?
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »
Twice since I have lived here, I have been asked why I wash up the way I do...typically British - plug in, squirt of Fairy Liquid, water to the top, then get stuck in. I know in the UK this is not abnormal - some people even line their sinks with bowls.
The reason I gave was that water is very expensive & a precious commodity in the UK (think water rates, drought, hose pipe bans & stand pipes).
I also pointed out that they wash up under running water as they come from Muslim countries & it is their custom to use running water for cleaning - they both seemed oblivious to this  :o
I will admit I have slightly changed my procedure & now rinse everything in clean water prior to draining, but it did make me think.
What do other people do?

PS. I am now saving for a dishwasher - so I'm not thought to be a freak  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I understood it was because of the Muslim running water reason. When you think about it, it does make sense - why we wash our plates in water that is getting dirtier and dirtier is pretty ridiculous. Same for having a bath really...

(Dishwasher & wife by the way :D )

Offline IanK

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
I have yet to find a sink plug (in Turkey) that keeps the water in the bowl long enough to wash my face - never mind the dishes.

ian

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 15:45:40 PM »
Wash dishes [?]

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 19:43:31 PM »
I got a plug but it wont reach the socket

Offline vinvola

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 22:21:33 PM »
A tip from someone who is married to a Turk. The dishes are washed in washing up liquid with hot water, then before rinsing, all the suds must be washed from your hands. The dishes are then rinsed under the cold tap and left on the draining board.The reason for this is that the Turkish think that you can get sick from the foam left on the dishes.In our house we never use a plug but a plastic bowl for washing then the clean dishes are put into the sink to wait for rinsing. When you think about this it is only common sense and a much more hygienic way to wash dishes.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 00:52:20 AM »
Neither, I have this magic cupboard in the kitchen, everything goes in dirty & comes out sparkling clean :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Liz 101

Neither, I have this magic cupboard in the kitchen, everything goes in dirty & comes out sparkling clean :D

I have one of those too Liz.  I put dirty dishes in it all day then press a switch at night.  When I get up in the morning after the Old Fella has gone to work, this magic little cupboard is empty and waiting to be filled again.  I think it's a great idea and I do believe in Fairies (and Fairy dishwasher tablets):D ;)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

quote:
Originally posted by Liz 101

I have one of those too Liz.  I put dirty dishes in it all day then press a switch at night.  When I get up in the morning after the Old Fella has gone to work, this magic little cupboard is empty and waiting to be filled again.  I think it's a great idea and I do believe in Fairies (and Fairy dishwasher tablets):D ;)

Back on subject.  The best plugs we have bought, that actually fit the plug holes in the sinks are from the million shop in Fethiye. :)

Offline NIGCOUSKAZ

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
I attended a local party, and was "invited" to help wash up (over 500 people attended).  

There was a production line of (1) rinse food from plate (2) wash with liquid (3) rinse in bowl of clean water (4) rinse again under tap.  Once you had completed your section, you just thru it into the next one along.

I was on no. 2 and mine were getting rejected by no.3 and thrown back into my bowl :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf