Author Topic: URGENT: Fuel Price Hike  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
URGENT: Fuel Price Hike
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 15:21:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Karennina

many thanks Colwyn just done ours as we are currently with Scottish Power and to pay nearly 30% more is just ridiculous:D

It's bad K, but not quite as bad as that. The rise won't be 29% for Scottish Power customers. It will be 19% on gas and 10% on electricity. Actual amount of increase would depend on how much of each you use. In my household it would be an increase of 16% overall (you don't add the 10 to the 19). This would be plenty bad enough.

Of course, for those of us who are fixing until Sept 2012, we will be returning to this topic in 15 months time and god knows what the increases will be like then!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
URGENT: Fuel Price Hike
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 16:01:15 PM »
"What the big, fat, inefficient energy companies are hoping (and, yes, I am thinking about British Gas) is that most customers are too trusting, timid, lazy or uniformed about how easy it is, to bother changing their provider." Colwyn.

Thanks Colwyn and same also applies to mortgages - people sometimes spend hundreds more a month than they need to often because they don't realise they can simply change their mortgage provider or even change to a new deal with an existing one.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: URGENT: Fuel Price Hike
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 13:47:14 PM »
A year ago quite a few of us signed up to an EDF fixed rate dual gas/elec. deal. This expires in September so now is the time to switch again. I've decided to follow Martyn Lewis' advice (again) and have gone for EDF Blue +Price Promise which is a fixed rate deal lasting through the next two winters to April 2014 - but you can switch away at any time without penalty. And they will actually email you if a competitor comes up with a significantly better tariff  (i.e. more than £1 per week). This isn't quite the cheapest offer available but it is longer and if prices do fall (well it is just about imaginable) you can always switch again. The estimated monthly direct debit I have been quoted based on current annual usage is just £4 per month higher than I have been paying over the last year - which strikes me as damn good.

Offline 160606

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 18:49:04 PM »
Hi All,  last year I was recommended by a comparison site to go with a firm called Ovo, who set my  dd for an amount that was £12 cheaper than Scottish Power. They  have sent me notification this week that from  September 1st my d.d. will be £2 less than I was paying for the next 12 months .Maybe people should give them a try, I know some of the supplies are not always good for everyone  but this one is o.k.for me. Google them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »
I do not like Martyn Lewis but I followed Lord Jones of Colwyn Bey to EDF when he posted about it. I have now followed him again to the "EDF Blue +Price Promise" tariff which does seem excellent in the current "climate". Now, if only EDF can give us back some of the £614 we are in credit with them, that would be great!

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
If you ring them they will alter the dd down to a more suitable level Keith, always had great service from EDF.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 18:23:42 PM »
I do not like Martyn Lewis but I followed Lord Jones of Colwyn Bey to EDF when he posted about it. I have now followed him again to the "EDF Blue +Price Promise" tariff which does seem excellent in the current "climate". Now, if only EDF can give us back some of the £614 we are in credit with them, that would be great!

Also changed to EDF blue yesterday after my current EDF plan came to and end but they £1300 of mine and the DD payments go up under The new EDF plan. I tried calling yesterday to try and sort it but after 25 mins I threw in the towel .

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 18:30:02 PM »
GB, did you fill in your current fuel usage on the basis of kWh or DD? If it was the latter I suspect that your entries will have over-estimated your actual usage since you were inputting an exaggerated DD rate. So the computer program calculated your new DD based on this mistaken rate.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 19:00:20 PM »
They have my current usage as I'm a current customer. I simply said I wanted to switch to the new programme and the costs were already there,just slightly more than I currently pay (£106 per month). I wanted to discuss the fact that with so much in credit on account surely the monthly payment should be less- hey Ho it will all sort itself out in the end.

Offline jacqtay

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 19:20:48 PM »
Would members still recomend EDF?,,,, Iam in the middle of choosing a supplier after moving to a new  build home>... What are the members thoughts?
Is Edf the best option?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf