Author Topic: Wallander on TV  (Read 758 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Wallander on TV
« on: June 11, 2011, 17:06:55 PM »
There is some dispute over TV Wallander in our household. Hilary raves about the Kenneth Branagh BBC series whereas I maintain the original Swedish version, where Wallander (actually pronounced properly unlike the Branagh character!) is played by Kirsten Henriksson, is about 1000% better (or more). Anyway, the second Swedish series continues tonight on BBC4. For some reason that we can't understand we missed this the first time around. It is, in my view, the best drama currently on mainstream UK TV. On this, at least, Hilary agrees (since a Branagh version is not currently available).  

If you have missed this, I guess it is available on BBC iPlayer. The books, by Henning Mankell, are also superb and I try to find a new one to take with me on each holiday.

WARNING: Some people find the books depressing. Mankell's reflexive detective struggles to come to terms with his broken marriage, critical daughter, contemptuous aged father, his own diabetes, changes in Swedish society, especially with its growing immigration and attendant racism, whilst maintaining a vision of the police service as a force for social good. In these struggles his character shines through as someone trying his best to be a good person - but realizing that he often fails. Holding all this together run beautifully crafted murder mystery plots. Obviously I don't find the books depressing. Instaead I find I can idently with many of Wallander's struggles and perhaps even learn something from them. Above all - the books are a bloody good read.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 17:08:30 PM by Colwyn »

Offline scorcher

Wallander on TV
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 19:17:52 PM »
Nothing to do with all those glorious hours of daylight then ?

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Wallander on TV
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 23:36:30 PM »
Unfortunately Mankell has stopped writing Wallander novels. I have read them all and not one of them is a bad read. When I start I cannot put the book down.Every time I go into Waterstones or other bookshops I always head for the Crime series to check if another Wallander has been written.

Like every detective series you have got to start from the first book as the character is built up and you get to know him. Top of my list are Wallander, Rebus, Bosch and Logan McRae.

Wallander is very gory and depressing but it is probably the long dark winters in Sweden.

As for the TV series I prefer the Swedish version.I am not in any way knocking the BBc version as it is also quality tv.Having read all the books I have this character in my mind and he is more like the Swedish version than Branagh.

Offline Old Daffodil

Wallander on TV
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
I really enjoy reading his books too. I have not seen the tv series yet.
I also enjoyed the Stieg Larsson trilogy starting with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Wallander on TV
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 21:56:44 PM »
Well while we are on the subject of great swedish literature of the non crime or thriller variety - although I enjoyed all of the above - I can only commend to you Vilhelm Moberg's Emigrant novels a four volume saga of swedish immigrants to the USA in the 19th century.  A great read from beginning to end, and if you like the character led writing style  of Henrikson and Larsson, then you'lllove Moberg.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 22:00:05 PM by usedbustickets »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf