Author Topic: Which Camera  (Read 1888 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Which Camera
« on: September 01, 2011, 22:39:19 PM »
Having just looked at my holiday photos taken with my Sony W50 cyber shot I am fed up with all of the photos having red eye. I can never seem to take any decent photos like are shown on the forum. Time for a new camera me thinks. I want a smallish compact that doesn't burn through batteries every 5 mins, I don't need to get a second mortgage to buy and obviously takes good photos. Any recommendations appreciated. Or maybe I am just a crap photographer and I should just save my money?

Offline scouser2

Which Camera
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 22:44:39 PM »
Install photoshop on your computer. I think it is free from Microsoft. Go to Microsoft download centre. Works on my photos whether they are from camera or mobile phone.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 22:46:00 PM by scouser2 »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Which Camera
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 22:55:12 PM »
Is there not a flash setting for red eye Paul? (For preventing it, not to get it :D ) - if the flash goes off more than just once quickly then that is it already - if when using that you still have the problem then your family and friends must all have flash resistant eyes  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Which Camera
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 23:10:00 PM »
Have a look at Which Best Buys Digital Cameras - rather long link below.

I'd recommend narrowing the search and look at the Canon Powershot,  Panasonic Lumix or Nikon Coolpix ranges.

Think about how important the quality of the photo is to you - do you want to produce high resolution images every time?

Do you want to be able to zoom over a longer distance?

Optical zooms are better (imo) than digital zooms because the optical zoom does not reduce the quality of the image but digital zoom does.

Re the batteries a rechargeable battery that comes with the camera and a charger I think is a must and if you can afford to buy a spare battery so you always have back up to hand all the better.

As Scouser2 says you can do an awful lot to any photo these days with the aid of software too.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/photography/reviews/digital-cameras/?source_code=610CQJ&CMP=KNC-GOOGLE&_$ja=kw:best+cameras+to+buy|cgn:Technology%7c%7cPhotography%7c%7cCameras+%26+SLRs%7c%7cSearch%7c%7cCamera+Generic%7c%7cBest+Camera|cgid:1828708481|tsid:21615|cn:Technology%7c%7cPhotography%7c%7cCameras+%26+SLRs%7c%7cSearch|cid:53288081|lid:2682303697|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:6804180641

Offline screamlead

Which Camera
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:54:07 AM »
Photoshop is by Adobe not Microsoft and its not free either.
Most rechargable batteries are useless for hungry cameras as they usually are only 1.25-1.3 volts so are less power than the decent 1.5v ones.
Lithium ion batteries may last longer - didnt actually know they did them for cameras - lol thanks wiki!
But agree with nichola a spare would be a good idea nothing worse than batteries running out at critical moments.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:00:37 AM by screamlead »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Which Camera
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
Let me clarify...

Re the batteries a rechargeable lithium ion battery that comes with the camera and a charger I think is a must and if you can afford to buy a spare battery so you always have back up to hand all the better.

Some cameras come with their own software included in the purchase price.

Offline peecee

Which Camera
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04:29 AM »
I've got a panasonic lumix and am very pleased with it.  Rechargable mains battery is included.

Offline AndyLin

Which Camera
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »
I also have the Panasonic Lumix, brilliant little camera.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Which Camera
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »

Offline thebillet

Which Camera
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
I use Picasa software, free via google it is very easy to use and does most of what one might need for a non professional imho.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf