Author Topic: what is your pet hate  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
what is your pet hate
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Colwyn

Re my post of the single letter B - that was my rather pathetic attempt to answer the question cited in the previous post on that thread.

Re using nouns as vowels, I seem to remember someone, if not your goodself, pointing out that I was totally incorrect to say that medal could only be used as a noun.

As regards the need for me to see someone about a possible external conscience, I fear I am taking enough medication at present and any addition may well push me over the edge.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
what is your pet hate
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
On "B". Yes I quoted you out of context. This is often a weaselly excuse offered by politicians to cover up some mistake, but in this case is completely justified. Sorry about that.

On verbs. I recall some such discussion. I think you were complaining about a sports commentator using "winter" as a verb, and I pointed out that it had been used as such since Chaucer's day. You may have mellowed on this noun/verb issue. I see you haven't complained about me converting invoice into a verb.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:40:23 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
what is your pet hate
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
Stupid laws - I saw one of those TV programmes that follow the Motorway Police around and they saw someone doing whatever it is you can't do anymore this week - eating a banana, scratch your knee while driving etc. - anyway, they were actually in pursuit of another vehicle so couldn't pull this guy over. Instead, the non-driving policeman suggested they pull alongside and the non-driving policeman could tick him off, before speeding off in pursuit of the other car.

So here we have someone doing something exceptionally trivial, being forced to look sideways out of his car and try and comprehend what all the mouthed words and gestures might mean. All this at 70 miles per hour on the motorway.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
what is your pet hate
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

Ah, I recall some such discussion. I think you were complaining about a sports commentator using "winter" as a verb

I recall it perhaps being about a news report from the Olympics or some such event where the successful athletes were described as being "medalled" - is that right?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
what is your pet hate
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

As if it wasn't bad enough to have them use nouns as verbs in "such and such an athlete hopes to medal in the olympics"  I've just heard one say " he has wintered well"

AGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf