Author Topic: What is the best and fairest way to split a bill  (Read 3740 times)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
What is the best and fairest way to split a bill
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 23:12:53 PM »
Thats the trouble with some folk!

Offline Robw

Re: What is the best and fairest way to split a bill
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 00:25:54 AM »
50/50 for us too but like Keith i offer to pay more as we generally have our Son with us.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 00:28:39 AM »
I would also add that in situations where people are a little strapped for cash (and I've been there!) but wanted to come out to see us for a meal, if they asked for separate bills I would not only fully understand why - and without them needing to go through the embarrassment of having to say a word - but also it would be perfectly acceptable. It's the people who can well afford it that are the problem!

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
I always split it 50/50 and still people aren't happy. The wife complains about paying the same as me, moaning that I had a bottle of wine and she couldn't have a drink because she is driving.
To make sure I am being really fair I share the driving with Carole 50/50 as well. Being a gentleman I always take the first stint.
Mark

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
 I suppose it's dependent on who's company you are in. For example, my ex and I  used to go for a meal once a week. We would be having a meal and an aquaintance and his wife would come (uninvited), sit at our table order drinks and then leave without paying for them. They did this twice and we let it go. However the next time we went out we instucted the waiter to set up a seperate bill for the uninvited guests. On cue, they arrived and ordered their drinks and after a while got up to leave. Our waiter ran after them with their bill. Their faces were a picture, and strangely they never invited themselves again to join us. :o

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
For what it's worth I did not pose this question because I have a problem with the 50/50 it was just that in conversation people have varying views. I did notice that those who are a bit more "careful" were the quieter of those discussing this subject and this seems to be the case on here too!

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »
When I was in the uk the main times for going out for meals with others were work do's, Xmas etc. And always split 50 / 50 as it was a rarity.
On holiday it was the same.
I remember one awful meal out with someone with a calculator who was outraged at the suggestion of splitting the bill because she hadn't had a pudding. Completely spoilt the evening.
Living here we tend to eat out in groups much more often and have noticed that almost everyone tends to pay for what they've had, I guess you have to as its more frequent and none of us know how long our savings are going to last.
I confess I do keep track in my head of what we've had to make sure we get charged the right amount as have been overcharged on many occasions and always scrutinise the bill for the same reason.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »
I prefer to eat with people who don't calculate that I had the pilau rice and they only had the plain rice. If that happens it is unlikely I will find myself in the same situation again with them. Things like that can spoil what might have been a good evening. I will offer to pay more if we have the kids with us and others don't or similar, but in the main a simple 50/50 or whatever it is.
Totally agree Scunner that is exactly the way Iam.

Offline DANKY

• Never red
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »
I can remember being on holiday with family in a round i bought the first round and everyone has a drink, there was  5 of us including children 4 of them ,next round was there’s  & his wife  would say us girls are ok  this time and kids you  all still have got drinks havent you,  he would then come back from the bar with a pint for me and a pint for him,  the next round was mine yep you guessed it nine drinks and crisps and peanuts this went on for a week like this  and the parting shot on the last night was we cant believe we will be taking spending money home with us,  my  wife used to say when we got home every night please  dont say nothing it will spoil the holiday but still gets to me now and this was years ago >:(

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 15:46:18 PM »
OMG this is a minefield isnt it? I think it wholly depends on the people you are with . I say this having had years of experience of working away from home and having to join work colleagues for meals. I must have been the only civil servant ever to be out of pocket on expenses as I always ended up putting in more to compensate for the tight gits I worked with!
they would walk for miles for a Weatherspoons 2 for 1 deal !
I also cant do with people watching the drinking consumption either so prefer on works do's now to have a separate drinks bill then the drivers and tea totallers cant moan about theose of us who like a small libation!
On holiday however if anyone wants to join us for a meal its splittsville and no arguments! in fact if that were to happen the relationship would be shortlived!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf