Author Topic: What is the best and fairest way to split a bill  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: What is the best and fairest way to split a bill
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 18:09:20 PM »
I used to go out for a meal once a month with 11 women who all went to a dance class I attended. I stopped as one woman also brought a calculator so that each imdividual could pay exactly what they'd ordered. Some had previously objected because they'd ordered orange juice and someone lese had ordered wine! When I protested about the indignity of it, next time she bought "post it" sheets and a "bookies" pen for each of us so we could write down what we'd ordered and she would calculate descreetly at end of the meal.  Needless to say, I declined the invite the following month. Miserable gits!
 :(

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 19:10:06 PM »
Depends on the occasion.  We do lunch at work and pay seperately.  We do other meals and split the bill between the company.
You usually find some drink others will have a pudding.  Tipping is a bug bear as I usually tip well but find not many people do.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 22:51:06 PM »
Danky I'll come away with you mate.
I would be biting my lip.
I cant stand bar sharks.
My brother in law used to suffer from myroundaphobia on a grand scale until we terrorised him in the pub one night and he was cured.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
Nick and I went out for an indian with a woman and her husband that I had met in some classes I was attending. She had pounced on me as she didnt drive and we lived close by, I couldnt shake her off. All was going well although a little difficult as we were all newly aquainted. The bill came -she passed out -ambulance called - Nick paid the bill and we never saw them again :-) smacks of only fools and horses, extreme but true! I'm sure she was ill, I mean you wouldnt pretend would you. I was happy never to see them again, no more lifts etc! Dont get me wrong I would drive miles in the wrong direction to pick someone up/drop off and I have, but when you know deep down that its about what you can do for them rather than friendship, its not good.  In answer to the question, the fairest way is to divide the bill up would be according to who has had what, however, that is not the best way -50/50 for me everytime!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:11:57 AM by Gorgeous_bird »

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 13:42:25 PM »
I know its not funny really but thats just made me titter! The lengths some folk will go to just to avoid paying the bill!

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 12:10:12 PM »
Oh GB you made me laugh. ;D
My daughter could have used that the other day. As she hasn't been working in her office for long, the other girls suggested they did lunch. She ordered first and chose a cheese salad and a coke, the other girls had steaks or mixed grills and wine. The bill came and 1 girl was kicked under the table when she suggested that my daughter should pay less because she only had salad. She paid up £18 (which included a good tip), but said that she wouldn't be doing that again in a hurry.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Mostly if we go out as a group we will split the bill equally amongst the number present. Often if we go out with close friends we sort of take it in turns. I might say "I'll get this one" etc etc. A few years ago my wife's friend hitched up with a new boyfriend who turned out to be a right tight so and so. At the end of dinner in a nice restaurant one night he made a right ceremony of going through the bill asking who had what so as to ensure everyone paid the right amount. I was so embarrassed! The next time we had the misfortune to go out with them I insisted on meeting in a pub before hand (strangely no-one thought this out of place for me!) at which point I produced a copy of the destination restaurant's menu and said "would you like to decide and calculate what you are having now and give me the money for me to settle the bill for us all because to be honest I couldn't go through the embarrassment of sitting there splitting the bill again in public". Did the trick!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
I'm with Keith on this one. Nothing more embarrassing than when someone pulls out a calculator.

I don't mind paying more than my fair share so any simple divvy up such as equal splits work for me.

Life's too short...

Spot on Keith. I can't stand those who work out who has had what and who should pay more (unless there are more of you then them or visa versa).

Mind you we got stung in Thailand when we met one of our son's Norwegian poker playing friends (millionaire playerat 26!) and his doctor mum and TV doctor step dad. We all had basic starters and pizzas for the main meal however I was asked if we wanted to share the wine they had ordered.

The bill for 6 of us came to £400!!!!!! Seems they had already had a bottle of wine before we arrived and the cost per bottle was about £70. Ouch - great first Monday of our hols!

Offline jackstee

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 19:03:19 PM »
I have had similar experiences so now I always and I mean always ask the patron for my own hesab and give him our name so it stays seperate.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 19:23:57 PM »
Nice one Piscoe.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf