Author Topic: What did the Pope ever do for you ?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: What did the Pope ever do for you ?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
Never took to the guy, he was a Nazi.

That's not quite the full picture I thought he was a Lapsed Nazi!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
I thought he was just a trainee Nazi

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
Yes, he was in the Hitler Youth.  But to be fair all German boys were in it.  It was compulsory I think.  And actually quite a lot of German girls were in it too.  My dad has a friend who was in the Hitler Youth and she says it was a bit like being in the scouts or something like that.  They had no idea what it meant and she certainly didn't go around killing people or even hurting them.  No one in the pope's immediate family actually joined the Nazis according to the reports on the internet.  They were Catholics and the Catholics were being persecuted themselves. 

I'm no fan of the pope but I'm pretty sure I believe he wasn't a Nazi.

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
He chose not to take the opportunity that was presented to him to correctly deal with the appalling string of child molestation cases within the church. They just appeared to close rank and do very little. This leads me to believe these acts of depravity continue and the leadership prefer to turn a blind eye or sweep it under the carpet.

Whilst in a lot of ways religion helped shape civilisation to be what it is today, in particular with the way it taught right and wrong and virtues, It has also been by far the cause of more war, hatred and death than any other. For this reason I can see less and less room for it in today's modern thinking society. Science has just about proven wrong all religious theory concerning the origin of man (or woman) and the world so I wonder if it will dissipate over time.

Controversial I know and please accept my apologies if anyone is offended but I am entitled to my belief as are you.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »
A Pope gave us a laugh.  I remember my Mother and I getting the bus to work every morning into Liverpool town centre and there was a Catholic Church "St Antony's" in Scotland Road, (right next door to the Hairdresser with Cilla Black's Mother's flat above it) that we used to pass on the bus.  One morning we noticed that someone had been out with the white paint and in big letters painted "GOD BLESS OUR POPE"  Now right next to the Scottie Road which was predominately Catholic, was a Protestant Area.   Next morning we came passed on the bus again, to see someone had been down during the night with a paint brush and the sign now said "GOD BLESS OUR POPEYE"  gave everyone on the bus a laugh, and was typical of Liverpool humour.   ;D

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 13:46:11 PM »
Jacqui, that reminds me of a sign that was outside my local church. It read 'Jesus saves'. Some wag wrote underneath 'but he only gets 0.01% interest.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 15:14:08 PM »
Dunno and don't care  :)

Signed: A practising Agnostic!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 15:35:40 PM »
A new pointless game .

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 15:43:39 PM »

I'm no fan of the pope but I'm pretty sure I believe he wasn't a Nazi.

I didn't actually really believe he was a Nazi Suz. Jeez, you can't even have a laugh about oppressive religious practices and evil nationalistic murdering regimes these days!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 15:57:45 PM »
Yes, he was in the Hitler Youth.  But to be fair all German boys were in it.  It was compulsory I think.  And actually quite a lot of German girls were in it too.  My dad has a friend who was in the Hitler Youth and she says it was a bit like being in the scouts or something like that.  They had no idea what it meant and she certainly didn't go around killing people or even hurting them.  No one in the pope's immediate family actually joined the Nazis according to the reports on the internet.  They were Catholics and the Catholics were being persecuted themselves. 
Funny isn't it after the war you couldn't find a nazi anywhere, and anyway they were all harmless like the boy scouts ... what a lot of old apologist guff.  Blimey even Basil Fawlty saw through that one.  As to the Catholics being persecuted, where did you dig that factual nonsense up from?  I think you may be confusing Catholic with other religious groups who were really persecuted (and actaully exterminated) by the German Nazis, not least the Jews and Jehovah Witnesses

The German population (and wider German speakers) was right behind the evil Nazi regime, they couldn't have sustained the war without that backing, and with around half the German population being Catholic, they have to stand up and take their share of the blame, and recriminations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf